Approved H1b BUT OPT denied

unibas

I graduated in 2004 from US and applied for OPT in Vermont office in April 2004. I did not receive OPT card for 90 days so I went to USCIS local office and they gave me an interm card for 6 months. I started working in a company. Even after 6 months my original OPT card did not come so I went again to USCIS local office and got another interm card for next 6 months. Before its expiry I applied for H1b and got approval in 2005. In 2006 I changed my company and applied for transfer in CA office. It is over 6 months now and have not received my h1b transfer approval.

I received a letter from vermont office few weeks ago (in 2007) stating that my OPT was denied in June 2006 and they sent a denial notice and that was returned because of change of address. Anyhow I called them to update my address and requested for a copy of denial notice. Now they said it is over 6 months so we cannot give you a copy of denial notice alternatively I may apply for Freedom of privacy act to get a copy that may take over one year.

So i am in jeopardy now. I do not know what is the reason for my OPT deniel. My H1b was valid until 2008 but my h1b transfer is pending. I did not know that my OPT was denied when I applied for h1b transfer.

Can anyone please share her/his experience with me and waht are my options????

Regards,

Unibas

Dear Friend,

All i can advise you is, fill out the change of address frequently as you move on.

As for the transfer, I think you should wait and see. I know it might be little uneasy with all that you'd to go through, but H1b transfer is a simple case, so no panic.

In the mean time, find out about others as well.

http://www.rahasiam.com