Approval and RTD

Hismercy

Registered Users (C)
I would like some advise please. I currently have a RTD to expire Apr 2006. I have however recently been approved for permanent residence. To travel in the next few months, do I need to apply for Re-entry permit now and would they issue it being that my RTD is still valid?

Apply now for a Reentry Permit and make sure you send back your RTD.This what I did and it worked.My RTD good until Aug 2006 was issued before I got approved.When I got approved on Sep 15,2005 and got my GC on Sep 20 2005,I couldn't accepte carying anymore document with ASYLEE or REFUGEE labels since I'm a great PR as others.I sent back thier RTD and requested for Reentry Permit.Today,wherever I got,nobody knows I'm from asylum except uscis computers.

i agree with cadel

i did the same thing,

i got green card in aug 23 2005, my RTD was valid until may 2006,

i applied for REENTRY DOCUMENT on oct 14 2005, and i mailed my RTD together with the application,

i did not feel comfortable to use RTD because its shows asylee

John Smith 1 said:
i did the same thing,

i got green card in aug 23 2005, my RTD was valid until may 2006,

i applied for REENTRY DOCUMENT on oct 14 2005, and i mailed my RTD together with the application,

i did not feel comfortable to use RTD because its shows asylee

Cadel & John 2 questions,

1- You use your national passport with the re-entry permit? Or just the re-entry permit. Do you have to go to the room with the IO

2- How long does it take to get the re-entry permit.

Thanks

I heard they do not require to send an old RTD back unless it hasn't been expired yet. I that correct? I haven't found anything in I-131 form instructions saying that you have to send your old Travel Document to USCIS.

Flashington,a Reentry permit is kind of passport.It's same as RTD.The difference is Reentry is good for 2 years and RTD is for 1 year.You pay the same money.When you you look in your permit,there is no more title like Refugee travel document or Class,refugee or asylee.Here,it just says Reentry permit and your class is Resident.Again,no more durty words like asylee or refugee.You can get visas with this and your national passport is completly out fo service.Again you don't need to cary your national passport.When you enter US,you stand at US citizens line and the IO just stamps it like US passport.No more I-94 and no more checking room for you.It's magic beeing PR.To know how long it takes,go to www.immigration.com and click on uscis processing time.
Good luck.

Hismercy said:
I would like some advise please. I currently have a RTD to expire Apr 2006. I have however recently been approved for permanent residence. To travel in the next few months, do I need to apply for Re-entry permit now and would they issue it being that my RTD is still valid?

You spent 165 bucks on a document. Use it. You are a PR now. It doesn't matter what it says if you are an asylee or anything on that document. When you enter back to the U.S, show your officer the G.C and he will understand why it shows ASYLEE still....

Unless you want to waste 165 bucks..its all good. Just apply for a Rentry permit in Late december and by april 2006 you will have a rentry permit..DO NOT send back your old RTD but attach a letter explaining whyou need it to travel...

cadel said:
Flashington,a Reentry permit is kind of passport.It's same as RTD.The difference is Reentry is good for 2 years and RTD is for 1 year.You pay the same money.When you you look in your permit,there is no more title like Refugee travel document or Class,refugee or asylee.Here,it just says Reentry permit and your class is Resident.Again,no more durty words like asylee or refugee.You can get visas with this and your national passport is completly out fo service.Again you don't need to cary your national passport.When you enter US,you stand at US citizens line and the IO just stamps it like US passport.No more I-94 and no more checking room for you.It's magic beeing PR.To know how long it takes,go to www.immigration.com and click on uscis processing time.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for you very useful information, Cadel. Now I know Reentry Permit is equivalent to NP or GC ( from IO or customs official eye ).

However, what if your travel destination country need a visa - do they stamp in your NP ( either expired or renewed ) or in Reentry Permit ?

Also, your GC still bear AS6 mark ( front or back side ? ). The human resource people in your company, federal agencies, national labs who do confidential checkup even for a visitor will all know your origin.

Further, if you need to invite your relatives, or apply immigraton benefits for you relatives who are still in your home country, you probably need to send back the copy of your US status - both sides of GC, for their passport or visa process. Then they will know your asylee origin....

Can you clarify the above, or find ways to evade AS6.... I think all forumees are interested in... Great thanks !

to grassroot

if you have green card through asylum,

forget your national passport, dont use it,

use your reentry document, it serve as a national passport,

when you apply for a visa to foreign country, use your reentry document,
they will issue your visa based on your reentry document,

dont show them your national passport, say you dont have it because you were admitted as asylee or you are stateless,

they will understand, just forget your national passport, dont complicate your life,

if you came from a third world country like all of us, i think
american reentry document more respected than national passport,

i remember few years ago i went to japanese counselate general,
i made a grave mistake by showing them my natinal passport ,
their reaction were so racist and discriminatory,

but when i show them my RTD , they made my life so easy,

about your green card, it doesnt matter if it shows AS6 OR NOT,

its a green card, and you are legally permanent citizen

My man Grassroot,AS6 is a special code only used by uscis to category your GC.If they don't tell what AS6 stands for,you're not gonna know it's a category on GC as a result of asylum.I don't see how peolpe in your home country or your employer or other people in US and all over the world are gonna know this.Even if you work for uscis,if you don't belong to the GC section,you're not gonna know this.It's too much technical.On your Permit,it's marked RESIDENT.There is no where said AS6 on your Permit,nor refugee or asylee.On your RTD, you see the title REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.At your port of entry,the IO stamp your PERMIT.Again,if you show your GC or your Permit to people,Nobody is gonna know your asylum's origine except people in system like you or me.But, if you show your RTD to people,your asylum's origine will be known.Even homeless knows you're an asylee when he looks on your RTD.

cadel said:
My man Grassroot,AS6 is a special code only used by uscis to category your GC.If they don't tell what AS6 stands for,you're not gonna know it's a category on GC as a result of asylum.I don't see how peolpe in your home country or your employer or other people in US and all over the world are gonna know this.Even if you work for uscis,if you don't belong to the GC section,you're not gonna know this.It's too much technical.On your Permit,it's marked RESIDENT.There is no where said AS6 on your Permit,nor refugee or asylee.On your RTD, you see the title REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.At your port of entry,the IO stamp your PERMIT.Again,if you show your GC or your Permit to people,Nobody is gonna know your asylum's origine except people in system like you or me.But, if you show your RTD to people,your asylum's origine will be known.Even homeless knows you're an asylee when he looks on your RTD.

Thank you very much, Cadel, you are very knowledgeable. Generally you are right about AS6 - ordinary people just don't bother to inquire that. However, one example : One guy tried to deliver a lecture in a national lab and was required to send a copy of his GC for pre-security clearance. Then the lab and his host knew his status and AS6 origin. Anyway this might be exceptional.

However, I remember this Reentry vs. RTD issue has been debated many times in this forum before. I remember in the end the conclusion was RTD is better because you can avoid your NP problem ( Or you do not have a NP ) and some countries do need NP to stamp visa. Now if you and John Smith are right - the countries will stamp Reentry Permit - then RTD IS COMPLETELY USELESS, PERIOD.

Why are people still fond of RTD ?

Hismercy said:

rein.jpg

recover.jpg

vs.

USRef.Doc.Cover.jpg

USRef.Doc.Inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To GrassRoot.

Yes,a Permit is like RTD or NP with pages for visas issuance.Permit is issued only to PRs.Wherever your PR is from,you remain a PR and deserve a Permit if you request for it.

cadel said:
Yes,a Permit is like RTD or NP with pages for visas issuance.Permit is issued only to PRs.Wherever your PR is from,you remain a PR and deserve a Permit if you request for it.

After my sister was granted PR, she applied for an RTD, and they just sent her a Permit.

RTD vs Travel Permit

cadel said:

Come on Cadel, the RFT is not all that bad.
I intend to use my RTD till it expires even though I have my GC. I don't care about the stigma you mentioned. Also, do not forget in Europe (through Germany), I do not need a VISA with my RTD. The travel permit requires a Visa even to Germany.

To Hayle

My man,getting a visa is little thing for US PR as long as you got little money in your banking account.Your RTD is good for a year and you're gonna need to spend another $ 170. It makes no difference if you can spend it now for your Permit valid for 2 years,and feel more comfortable.My man,RTD is one of benefits you used to get when you used to be an asylee.You're now a PR and you need to enjoy you're benefit as a PR.