Applying for US Passport

Jack1sBack

Registered Users (C)
If I'm gonna apply for US passport at the local Post Office what will I need to take with me other than:

original naturalization certificate
filled out DS-11 form
2 photos
drivers license
application fee

Are they gonna keep my original naturalization certificate?

Yes, they will mail in the original certificate with your application to the processing center. Assume that you use the regular processing, then about a week or two later (depending on you pay by money order or personal check), the application will be forwarded to their regional agency to actually make the passport. At that time, you will be able to check the application status online on their website (travel.state.gov). Just type in your last name, date of birth and last 4 digit of your social security number. Your certificate will be returned along with your new passport.

Hope this helped.

AlexMN said:
I didn't know that the Unites States Postal Service can issue passports.... :D :D :D

It is called "Passport Acceptance Facility" as oppose to 13 passport agencies.
Many post offices do accept your passport application. Of course, you are right, they cannot "issue" passport. You can find a nearby passport acceptance facility (usually a post office) from their website at Passport Acceptance Facility