Applying for US Citizenship from India??

jetsam

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,
I need some advice regarding application for US citizenship. I have completed 5+ years after my PR and am eligible to apply for citizenship. I have lived in the US the last 5+ years. I intend to now move to India to take care of some urgent family matter which I'm not sure how long it will take. Can I apply for citizenship from India? Not sure if this is even a possibility. Can somebody enlighten me on this. Also has anybody been through this process successfully? Any advice/help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You cannot apply from India. The exception is made only for special cases such as US military personal etc.

You cannot apply from India. The exception is made only for special cases such as US military personal etc.

Hopefully when you say "move to India" you really mean "take a temporary trip", otherwise you not only risk blowing that hard earned 5 years residency, but losing your LPR status as well.

Read up on some of the recent "continuous residence" discussions. USCIS takes a very negative stance against people living abroad and trying to fake the system by flying back for a short visit every once in a while.

I understand it may be tough, but if citizenship is important to you, try to get it done before you move abroad.

Or wait to file the N-400 when you're back in the US as long as you aren't gone more then 6 months...