Applying for son +21

quitin

Registered Users (C)
My uncle is a green card holder. can he still apply petition to his child above 21?! how long it will be? thanks

quitin said:
My uncle is a green card holder. can he still apply petition to his child above 21?! how long it will be? thanks
Only if the son/daughter is unmarried.
It will take 9+ years, unless your uncle becomes a citizen, and upgrades his petition. Then it would take a lot less (provided that the son/daughter will remain unmarried).

I would agree. Even when a GC holder parent applies for an over 21 single son/daughter, it still takes 9+ years....and we're talking about an uncle here. You have a long wait ahead of you.

ULTRON

Anahit said:
Only if the son/daughter is unmarried.
It will take 9+ years, unless your uncle becomes a citizen, and upgrades his petition. Then it would take a lot less (provided that the son/daughter will remain unmarried).

ULTRON said:
I would agree. Even when a GC holder parent applies for an over 21 single son/daughter, it still takes 9+ years....and we're talking about an uncle here. You have a long wait ahead of you.

ULTRON
He is an uncle to the poster, but he is definitely a father to his child, who he is going to petition... :)
And btw, uncle can't petition his nephew/niece. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anahit said:
He is an uncle to the poster, but he is definitely a father to his child, who he is going to petition... :)
And btw, uncle can't petition his nephew/niece. ;)

- his son... my cousin really have to wait. to bad. hahaha so if my uncle is us citizen that will be shorter?

quitin said:
- his son... my cousin really have to wait. to bad. hahaha so if my uncle is us citizen that will be shorter?
Your uncle should apply for his son as soon as possible, being a green holder, to get a early priority date. When he becomes a citizen, he would need to upgrade his petition. The key is that the priority date stays the does not change after the upgrade.
The current priority date for unmarried children of a US citizen is 22APR01 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3046.html), which means the wait for them is 5+ years today. In 5+ years your uncle would be a citizen (if not earlier). Most likely after he upgrades his petition, the priority date of 2006 would be current or very close to become current.