Applying for Naturalization while working abroad

Congrats ! and Glad to hear that everything went smoothly.

I have a question though, in your N400 application what dates did you add for Entry and Exit? I think you applied your N400 from outside US and i am in same boat as well. I left US end of September and planning to apply N400 abroad but i am not sure what to add for the last entry date.

Just to update as what happened to our case...contrary to the recommended path suggested by many over here to postpone the filing till we are back to the US for good, I decided to go ahead and try the process. So, we filed for our N-400 in early July. My wife stayed back in the US after her biometrics were done. We had our interviews in mid October and both of us were recommended for approval. Unlike, what I was expecting, the interview went very smoothly. The IO noticed and confirmed that I was working and living abroad at the moment but he moved on after verifying that I had no single trip for more than 6 months.

After about 4 days of interview, my wife got scheduled for oath and was sworn in. While, I had to wait for about 40 days before I was scheduled for the oath. It took a total of 3.5 months for my wife from the time of filing till oath. Whereas for me it took about 5 months.

I believe, the lawyer was not that incompetent after all. I was just being more skeptical about the whole situation. The lawyer was pretty confident that even if the IO had gone down the path to question my job and all that, he had a good case to respond with given that my wife was staying in the US and I was just commuting to work - albeit a thousand miles commute!

I would just like to iterate though, everyone's situation is different. One should do a good homework and plan things out well before deciding to take up a commitment outside of the US - preferably speak to a good attorney. Stick to the plan, and not get panic, or start asking around. The people who are responding to your queries are not familiar with every detail of your case and thus can only give a generic point of view.

Congrats ! and Glad to hear that everything went smoothly.

I have a question though, in your N400 application what dates did you add for Entry and Exit? I think you applied your N400 from outside US and i am in same boat as well. I left US end of September and planning to apply N400 abroad but i am not sure what to add for the last entry date.

We took a short trip back to the US to file for N400 and then left after once the receipt was received. At the interview, we reported the trip(s) outside of the US after filing.

I guess, you can file from abroad only if you are working with an approved N470

When you register at the airport for departure from the US and when you come back and enter the US, your GC is scanned. You also get a stamp in your passport at the entry point.

This isn't entirely true.

I have never had my Green Card scanned when departing the US, only when entering the US. And I have never received a stamp at my destination country, only when entering the US. USCIS must use the passport scan information to determine your physical presence, not the passport stamps, or Green Card scan info.

arc007, I realized this is a 5 years old gem. I am in the similar situation now, please respond if you are accessing the forum, I would like connect with you get some guidance from your experience.

arc007, I realized this is a 5 years old gem. I am in the similar situation now, please respond if you are accessing the forum, I would like connect with you get some guidance from your experience.

Hi Vantan18, I'm in the similar situation. I think. Did you apply N400 while you're abroad?