Applying for green card for parents - an issue

pkhona

Registered Users (C)
All,

I want to apply for GC for parents who are in India. I have an potential for my mom's application. Her passport shows her birth date as 15th Feb, in actuality her birth date is 25th. Her US visa application had correct birth date. Will this cause any issues, what date should we use to file her application ? She is trying to get birth certificate. Is it possible to have an affidavit stating the mistake ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

-pkhona

This question ideally belongs in the family based green cards thread (http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39). My suggestion would be to get these issues addressed before you file the application. Any passport issues like home town address, birthdate should be corrected before you apply. Saves you a lot of headache at a later point of time. Also apply for Police Clearance certificate for your parents. Its generally not required but a handy thing to have anyway. If you have planning for CP, then start thinking about income tax clearance as well.

Again, I would recommend posting questions related to parents GC in the Family based GC thread.

Vinayak

All,

I want to apply for GC for parents who are in India. I have an potential for my mom's application. Her passport shows her birth date as 15th Feb, in actuality her birth date is 25th. Her US visa application had correct birth date. Will this cause any issues, what date should we use to file her application ? She is trying to get birth certificate. Is it possible to have an affidavit stating the mistake ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

-pkhona

Getting the DOB corrected on an Indian passport is a major project in itself. Also, in the earlier (pre-partition) days many people had just a rough idea about when they were born. In the case of my Dad, who was born in what is now Bangladesh, there were no records of his DOB, so he picked an approximate DOB to the best of his knowledge and stuck to it thoughout his adult life. This DOB is on his Indian passport, US visa applications etc.

My question to you is - how did your Mom's US visa end up with a DOB different from the Indian passport DOB?

I would go with the Indian passport DOB. Also during the GC process if the birth certificate does not exist, then she needs to get two affidavits from two people attesting to her DOB, and a certificate from the local authority where she was born that her birth certificate does not exist.

Thanks guys, I will post queries in relevant forum.

Also I am not sure how the two dates got mixed up. Seems there was mistake on her all old passports.

We will probably go with indian passport date with affidavit suggesting her DOB as passport date and another affidavit suggesting an error in US visa. Most likely they will research her DOB on visa too, I believe, so second affidavit might come handy.