Applying for GC for parents

Ramsis

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone. I am back to the forums i got my citizenship and passport and i'm all set now :)

my question is i am applying for the GC for my parents:

1- Do i need to file I-485 a long with the I-130?
2- My dad is going back and forth between Egypt and the us but he will stay here most of the time and will not spend more than 5 month on each trip. should i apply CP or AOS?

i am new to the GC process i had a lawyer when i applied for my GC but i want to do it for my parents myself....

i read the posts about the procedures but for some reason it was not clear enough for me.
thank you

The questions you have are quite basic and covered extensively in the stickies and throughout the forums. Folks wont mind answering your questions, but going through the forums will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Hi everyone. I am back to the forums i got my citizenship and passport and i'm all set now :)

my question is i am applying for the GC for my parents:

1- Do i need to file I-485 a long with the I-130?

You can always file 130 and 485 concurrently. You don't HAVE to but you can.

2- My dad is going back and forth between Egypt and the us but he will stay here most of the time and will not spend more than 5 month on each trip. should i apply CP or AOS?

i am new to the GC process i had a lawyer when i applied for my GC but i want to do it for my parents myself....

i read the posts about the procedures but for some reason it was not clear enough for me.
thank you

CP or AOS really depends on your father and his availability in this country. If you file for AOS, he will need to be here for Fingerprinting, Interview (in case it happens). If you file for CP, then he cannot enter this country from the time it is filed till the time the process is completed.

Hope this helps.
Vinayak

stickies means the Sticky threads at the top of this forum.
Sticky: GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Sticky: US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son.. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Sticky: How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 5)

Sticky: Follow To Join.... ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

+
There are threads devoted to parent's case tracking i this forum, use search tool if you do not spot them in first two pages.

Parent's Cases Only: Tracking Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Last edited by a moderator:
is there any other forms that i need to file beside I-485 and I-130. I am filling for him on my own no lawyer.
Does he need a form for biometrics?
he might want to take short trips out of the US. does he need to file a form per trip or one form per year? when does he need to turn in that form, when he files or before he travels?

Again, look in these stickies and you will find most questions already answered.
In short, form I-131 is for travel.
I-765 is to get work permit -- social number afterward.
G-325A and I-864, 693 go with the 485 form.

Read the stickies before asking.

I read most of the forums but did not find exact answers to my questions. Maybe I have overlooked but if anyone has little time to answer specific to my questions I will be very thankful to them.

My parents do visit USA every year on visit visa but this time I like to apply GC for them. Since I will always GC for them then they can;t fly back to US anymore I know that. I want them to have GC back home so what will be entire process?

1) First I have to file I-130, do I have to send G-325a along with I-130?
2) Once I-130 approved, they have to visit USA consulate right?

Q1. Consulate will interview, fingerprint and issue GC? if not then do i have to file I-485 here in USA once I-130 approved?
Q2. I want to process entire GC for them while they r in home country. Reason because they can't stay here long enough to process entire GC.

What are my options.

thanks