Applying for citizenship

thegreatantu

Registered Users (C)
HI there,
I'm currently Canadian PR. Applying for citizenship next Feb.I've been U.S. for more than 16 months about 2 years back. But don't want to include in the 3 year requirement. How can I get around it.
1)as far as residency requirement. How can I prove it. If I take a person name and tell him to signed that paper saying I've been paying him for last 3 years.
2)I already file taxes for all those three years will it be O.K

Can someone help me out on that.

Antu

If you tell that you paid somebody rent for 3 years and then he will be in trouble as he did not show that rent in his income and not pay taxes on it.
So apart from lying and doing a crime (remember , lying for PR or citizenship is a criminal offence and you can be sent to prison for it apart from cancelling yoru citizenship ) you are screwing another person's life and putting your family's life in jeopardy.

Thanks for the reply bhand11683 . Is there any other way to prove residency? Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:
just live in canada for the required period and file when you are eligible for citizenship. You do not lose anything *significant* by not being a citizen of canada when you are a PR . You still can work anywhere and start a biz etc.

if you maintained your status on H1 or any other employment based status where you filed taxes, you are better off being honest. canadian govn is known to do random checking on US status for citizenship files. and if you've filed taxes in the US, you will have been alloted a tax id number and all your info will be out.

thanks very much for everybody's input. I have one more question to ask you guys. Is anyone of you heard got rejected or told to file citizenship in later date? Thanks so much

Yes , but that is in the case when you show less days and request to be considered for a citizenship, the judge will tell you to file later but not when you are caught lying for lack of residency proof. Then criminal code comes in.

Rest is your decision and I am sure we all take "sane" decisions and are ultimately responsible for our actions

Last edited by a moderator: