Applying for citizenship - working abroad

Kwanger

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I am a permanent resident of the US through marriage. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in Aug 2007.

However, I potentially have the option of going to work in the UK. The job is with a major US owned pharmaceutical company - I don't work for them now here in the US. The job is a permanent postion, however, there would be the possibility of a transfer back to the US at some point.

I was wondering if I would be eligible to file a N-470, and go ahead and file for citizenship in August anyway?

Also, does anyone what the purpose is of a N-300?

I would hate to lose out on this opportunity, but at the same time would hate to lose my GC and lose out on applying for citizenship due to "Abandonment of Residence", only to return to the US a few years down the line and have to go through the rigmarole of applying for a new GC.

Any thoughts would be most welcome, thanks.

You could apply for "preserve residency" due to working for US company aboard. That way, you won't have problem when you are eligible for citizenship. You might want to consult some legal expert for detail information for how to apply the "preserve residency" process.