Applying for Citizenship with past Domestic Violence record

speedtrac

Hi,

I am considering applying for citizenship but have a DV charge on my record. Looking for advice and any success stories of folks getting their citizenship approved with a prior DV charge. My case history is as follows -

April 2013 - got arrested for DV after getting into an argument with my wife
June 2013 - Prosecutor offered an SOC (stipulated order of continuance) with no guilty plea. I had to enter a 12 month DV-intervention program & not be arrested for any other criminal charges for 18 months for case to get dismissed
January 2015 - Case was dismissed automatically

I have not been arrested for anything else during the 20 years I have lived in the US.

Questions for folks who have gone through a similar experience -

1. It has been 5 years since the arrest, but the case was only dismissed in Jan 2015. Do I need to wait until Jan 2020 to apply for citizenship, OR, is it okay to do so now?
2. Any other advice on how I go about successfully getting my citizenship approved.

Thanks so much for your time!

Hi,

I am considering applying for citizenship but have a DV charge on my record. Looking for advice and any success stories of folks getting their citizenship approved with a prior DV charge. My case history is as follows -

April 2013 - got arrested for DV after getting into an argument with my wife
June 2013 - Prosecutor offered an SOC (stipulated order of continuance) with no guilty plea. I had to enter a 12 month DV-intervention program & not be arrested for any other criminal charges for 18 months for case to get dismissed
January 2015 - Case was dismissed automatically

I have not been arrested for anything else during the 20 years I have lived in the US.

Questions for folks who have gone through a similar experience -

1. It has been 5 years since the arrest, but the case was only dismissed in Jan 2015. Do I need to wait until Jan 2020 to apply for citizenship, OR, is it okay to do so now?
2. Any other advice on how I go about successfully getting my citizenship approved.

Thanks so much for your time!
Make sure you list the arrest in your application.
You will need to have the disposition for the Case at the day of your interview.
They need the Original copy because it will be kept and placed on your file. GL

Thanks so much Jbuff. Do you know if I am eligible to apply now given that it has been more than 5 years from the date of the arrest? Or, should I wait till Jan 2020 (5 years from the date the case was dismissed)? Also, should I go about this alone, OR, get an immigration attorney?

Thanks so much Jbuff. Do you know if I am eligible to apply now given that it has been more than 5 years from the date of the arrest? Or, should I wait till Jan 2020 (5 years from the date the case was dismissed)? Also, should I go about this alone, OR, get an immigration attorney?
Longer you wait the better if it were a conviction. But seeing that yours was dismissed. I would apply asap.
No you don't Need an attorney it's staright forward.

If using an attorney is something you want and can afford go ahead. After all you can't put a price on piece of mind. Your case was dismissed nothing an attorney can do for you that you cant do for yourself. In this instance.

Like I said above list the arrest and have the disposition they will need it for your file they have on you.