Applying for citizenship, but name on Green Card is different

Dave P

Hoping someone can give a little advice.

I'm about to apply for citizenship, but the name on my Green Card is different to my legal name (I changed it a few months ago). I contacted a local lawyer to see if this would be a problem and she said it'll be fine, provided I include proof of the name change and also execute an affidavit regarding the name change.

I was looking through the N-400 document checklist and it says "If your current legal name is different from the name on your personal resident card, send: Document that legally changed your name".

My question: Do I really need an affidavit regarding the name change, or will my court order suffice?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Hoping someone can give a little advice.

I'm about to apply for citizenship, but the name on my Green Card is different to my legal name (I changed it a few months ago). I contacted a local lawyer to see if this would be a problem and she said it'll be fine, provided I include proof of the name change and also execute an affidavit regarding the name change.

I was looking through the N-400 document checklist and it says "If your current legal name is different from the name on your personal resident card, send: Document that legally changed your name".

My question: Do I really need an affidavit regarding the name change, or will my court order suffice?

Thanks in advance
Dave
Court order is fine!!

On the Day of your swearing in
You would have a chance to do a legal name change right there! “The name printed on your citizenship Certificate”

Just send in the document showing your name change along with your N400 application.

I have a question. When I had my citizenship interview, i had already gotten married and changed my name on my SSN card and driver's license. But my green card and passport had my maiden name. He said they would need to do an extra investigation if I chose to use my new name?! So I didn't change them at that time. Then on the day of the ceremony, I was not aware I could change my name so my certificate is in my maiden name, which means that when I get a passport, it would be in my maiden name too. I don't have any identification under my maiden name. Can I go to get passport and just show them my marriage certificate or do I actually have to for over $555 to file the N-565 form and wait months for DHS to issue me a new citizenship certificate?