Applying for Canadian citizenship while working from home (hamilton) for a US company on H1B

mocanada

HI to all and appreciate your help and response in advance.

I believe my situation is unique and not sure what to expect.

I became a landed immigrant in 2006 and now completed my residency requirements to apply for citizenship. When i moved to canada, it was hard to find a job and through my contacts in the states( i went to school there in MIchigan before becoming PR) i was able to land a job with a US company small consulting firm that would give me work from time to time (was not steady the first 2 years) basically worked part time for them remotely from home (programmer and IT work) but in order to get paid, i had to apply for an H1b which was also necessary because they wanted me to meet with them when i start a new project and when i finish it which is about couple days every couple month.

My question is what to expect when applying for Canadian citizenship because i have an H1b stamp on my passport.

Note: i was living with my uncle when i first moved and was not paying rent and then after 1.5yrs moved to live with my best friend paying rent to him but lease in his name and my name is on Hydro bill. I also have bank account and credit card with some activity on it (monthly but minimal) like once every couple of days or every 5 days or so...

I also kept my US drivers license and did not switch it as i had to travel to US frequently and helped me get cheaper car insurance (should i switch it or it do not matter as i have a car in Hamilton but rarely use it as i work from home and use public transportation for the most part.

my physician primary care doctor is in Windsor (family friend) and i do not see him a lot but usually schedule an appointment with him when i am heading that way or to visit my work company in detroit (is this a problem).

Please advise me on how to proceed on my citizenship application as i have heard people get rejected for citizenship for just having an H1B on their passport.

i also filed my taxes yearly and now planning to buy a house in hamilton or greater Toronto area.

My h1b expire in a month and so my contract with the US company and i will be looking for work again.

thanks

If you have met the residency (physical presence) requirements, then go ahead and apply. You do not have any other choice other than to apply and see what happens. Make sure that you have all the bills and proofs about your physical presence in Canada - in case it is asked.

Note: If you worked from Canada, you really did not need H1B - to meet your employer in US, B1/B2 was all you would have needed.

HI to all and appreciate your help and response in advance.

I believe my situation is unique and not sure what to expect.

I became a landed immigrant in 2006 and now completed my residency requirements to apply for citizenship. When i moved to canada, it was hard to find a job and through my contacts in the states( i went to school there in MIchigan before becoming PR) i was able to land a job with a US company small consulting firm that would give me work from time to time (was not steady the first 2 years) basically worked part time for them remotely from home (programmer and IT work) but in order to get paid, i had to apply for an H1b which was also necessary because they wanted me to meet with them when i start a new project and when i finish it which is about couple days every couple month.

My question is what to expect when applying for Canadian citizenship because i have an H1b stamp on my passport.

Note: i was living with my uncle when i first moved and was not paying rent and then after 1.5yrs moved to live with my best friend paying rent to him but lease in his name and my name is on Hydro bill. I also have bank account and credit card with some activity on it (monthly but minimal) like once every couple of days or every 5 days or so...

I also kept my US drivers license and did not switch it as i had to travel to US frequently and helped me get cheaper car insurance (should i switch it or it do not matter as i have a car in Hamilton but rarely use it as i work from home and use public transportation for the most part.

my physician primary care doctor is in Windsor (family friend) and i do not see him a lot but usually schedule an appointment with him when i am heading that way or to visit my work company in detroit (is this a problem).

Please advise me on how to proceed on my citizenship application as i have heard people get rejected for citizenship for just having an H1B on their passport.

i also filed my taxes yearly and now planning to buy a house in hamilton or greater Toronto area.

My h1b expire in a month and so my contract with the US company and i will be looking for work again.

thanks