Applying AP

ssrg

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I would like to know where I can go in person and get the advance parole at the earliest? I live in NJ. I would also like to know what documents should be carried.

Thanks
ssrg

Go to INS Newark. Make sure you get there REAL early. The line starts forming as early as 5am. If you there at 6am you will be approximately 100th in line. Take a good book and be prepared to wait - no food, drink or potty breaks.
But you will come out with AP in hand by about 3pm.
I have done this twice - same experience both times.

I am completing my H1-B 6 years in next couple of days.
My 1-485 was applied abt 6 months back along with my EAD.
But I didn't apply for AP.

1) Do I need to apply AP before expiry of my H1-B?

2) If I need to apply my AP LOCALLY (Newark as I live in NJ), what could be valid reason (other than medical ground) for appling AP? Can I say like I like to visit my family as a reason for AP?

3) What are the documents I need to submit for AP?

I appreciate yr help in advance.

Thanks...

Hi gcInc:

When I applied for AP in person at Newark, they really did not want to know why I was planing to travel. I was asked why I did not apply by mail, and I just showed them my travel itenarary printout showing my flight booked for the following week, and said I did not have time to apply by mail. Traveling to visit the family is an acceptable reason.

Apart from the filled out form, photographs and the money, please take along your I485 receipt notice - they will not entertain you without that. Also, they do not dispense change at the cashier window, so bring the exact amount of money.

Do I need to apply AP before expiry of my H1-B?

AP is not a mandatory document. You can apply before ar after H1B expiry as long as your I485 is pending.

If you think that you would not travel out of US while waiting for your approval then you do not need AP.

But it is better you apply and get one as a contingency so that you do not need to worry if you have to travel on any emergency.