Apply for citizenship in US embassy in another country

s268952

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible to apply for US Citizenship in a US embassy in another country? I will be in Switzerland and there is an embassy in the capital.

If that isn't possible, could I request for my interview and oath to be done at the US embassy in Switzerland?

Thanks!!

s268952 said:
Is it possible to apply for US Citizenship in a US embassy in another country? I will be in Switzerland and there is an embassy in the capital.

If that isn't possible, could I request for my interview and oath to be done at the US embassy in Switzerland?

Thanks!!

I believe the answer is "No" to both questions.

I think the answer is no in nearly all cases but not all.

If you are in the military or if you are the non-citizen spouse of a US citizen who is working overseas for a bona-fide US coporation or government agency, then the answer might, under special circumstances, be yes. Their may be other instances.

However, I am afraid that if you "just happen to be there" (!!!!!) then most likely you are out of luck ......

Remember, you are supposed to be a resident of the US, so that implies ability to be physically present for the interview and oath ceremony...

rwsh said:
I think the answer is no in nearly all cases but not all.

If you are in the military or if you are the non-citizen spouse of a US citizen who is working overseas for a bona-fide US coporation or government agency, then the answer might, under special circumstances, be yes. Their may be other instances.

However, I am afraid that if you "just happen to be there" (!!!!!) then most likely you are out of luck ......

Yeap...Answers are "No" and "No" and for a good reason.

I think that even exceptions for US military are limited.......From what I heard, USCIS typically interviews military personnel in US + gives them citizenship the same day (of the interview) once they are back to their bases (in US).

The idea is to protect integrity/security of files and centralize access/procedures.

Again, from the info I have, if you are in these "special" categories (military, gov, special institutions), you do get a break from continuous/physcial residence requirements, but you do not get a break from interview on US soil.

The idea is that no one can be so "busy" that it can not come back to US for such an important event that you take once in a lifetime. Not military, not governmnet, not anyone....I agree --- US Citizenship is not a product that you can buy at the nearest store, but a process and the honored act.

And frankly, it looks foolish and embarrising: new naturalized U.S. citizens took oath in Switzerland. That would be comic :)

My 2c...

You can find an exact answer to this by calling one of the USICS offices situated oversees.

Last edited by a moderator: