AP or H1 visa stamp?

NeedGCMoney

Registered Users (C)
I am in H1B status. I recently got I140 and advance parole approved. I485 is still pending. I need to go abroad. I heard if I keep working for the same employer after being paroled in, my H1B will still be valid. Is that true? Then what is the advantage of getting a H1 visa stamp compared to using AP?

Thanks for looking,

True, your H1B would still be valid. Maintaining H1B status is just an insurance in the unfortunate event if your I-485 gets denied which would result in your AP becoming invalid. Having H1B at that point of time would ensure that you don't fall out of status.

titu

Originally posted by NeedGCMoney
I am in H1B status. I recently got I140 and advance parole approved. I485 is still pending. I need to go abroad. I heard if I keep working for the same employer after being paroled in, my H1B will still be valid. Is that true? Then what is the advantage of getting a H1 visa stamp compared to using AP?

Thanks for looking,

Thanks for answering. My understanding is since H1 status will still be valid, there is no point to get the visa stamp from the oversea consulate if I can use AP. Or having a visa stamp is better choice?

No need to get visa stamp if you don't want to. You can use AP to enter the country back.

titu

Originally posted by NeedGCMoney
Thanks for answering. My understanding is since H1 status will still be valid, there is no point to get the visa stamp from the oversea consulate if I can use AP. Or having a visa stamp is better choice?

AP is valid for only one year. H1 once stamped will be upto 3 years.
If you have more than 1 year on H1 it is more economical to do H1. Even more so if you have dependents on H4