AOS Questions

missie

Registered Users (C)
Hello!

I will be applying for Adjustment of Status from H1-B to Permanent Residence through marriage to a US Citizen soon.
I have a couple of questions...

1. Do I need to complete the medical exam and submit it with all my forms including I-485?

2. Does my husband need to attend in person with me when we file all the forms related to AOS in the local INS office? The reason why I'm asking this is because I see a note on the form that
I-864 needs to be completed and signed by a sponsor before an immigration officer. Personally, I would like to just drop off the forms in the local INS office myself but I am unsure if my husband will need to attend in person with me.

3. After marriage, I will have a new last name. Do I need to have my passport altered to this new last name before travel?

If anyone know anything about this, please reply to my post.
Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hello Missie,

The answers to your questions:

1. Do I need to complete the medical exam and submit it with all my forms including I-485?

Yes the results of your medical exam need to be submitted to INS (sealed by the physician) along with your I 485 packet.

2. Does my husband need to attend in person with me when we file all the forms related to AOS in the local INS office? The reason why I'm asking this is because I see a note on the form that
I-864 needs to be completed and signed by a sponsor before an immigration officer. Personally, I would like to just drop off the forms in the local INS office myself but I am unsure if my husband will need to attend in person with me.

Your husband can sign the forms in front of a notary. It is not necessary to do it in front of an Immigration Officer. The only time you and your husband have to attend the interview together is when INS sends you an appointment notice for your final adjustment of status interview.

3. After marriage, I will have a new last name. Do I need to have my passport altered to this new last name before travel?

Yes you will have to send your passport to your embassy / consulate to make the necessary changes. That change would reflect on all your INS / social security / driver license / bank accounts etc.

hope this helps.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Sachin

Thank You Sachin!

Hello Sachin:-

I would like to thank you for replying to my post. That pretty much cleared up all questions I have for now.
I will keep all of you posted on my progress.
Thanks again.

-Missie.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your medical test is good only for 1 year. Depending where you live (and what your INS office requires), you may want to consider to submitting it with your application, but wait when it comes closer to your interview time and do the test before the interview.

It worked for me.

Anna