AOS interview today - pending for FBI background check! *sigh*

princesskate

Registered Users (C)
I had an interview today w/ my husband (USC) in Santa Ana, CA. Everything was surprisingly smooth, the only question we were asked was "how did you guys meet?" The officer didn't even take a look at our pics. :confused:

What he kept in file:
- Car registration copy (joint title)
- Joint auto insurance copy
- Joint credit card statements copy
- Joint Costco membership cards copy
- Joint bank statements copies
- Life insurance copy
- My birth certificate copy
- Our passports, driver licenses & social security cards copies
- Our co-sponsor's financial support docs

Bad thing came to the end. My FBI background check result hasn't returned yet! :( I thought it shouldn't be a big deal but after I came to this forum & noticed a lot of ppl having the same problem as mine... now I realize it's possible to take months to clear... I start getting worried! *sigh*

My timeline:

Received date: 8/18/05
Priority date: 8/18/05
Fingerprint: 11/04/05
EAD: 11/08/05
AOS interview: 2/16/05 - went through but pending for FBI background check!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible that they haven't checked the system to see what the FBI results are. That is what happenned to me. I had my intreview on the 10th and the officer said the FBI name check wasn't complete. Yesterday my online status changed to approved and it said they were mailing the card soon. So don't lose hope. It could be a quick thing.

Congrats to you Princess ! Don't lose hope !

Ema.

-------------------------
5 days till interview
DO:Chicago

Thanks guys. Hope the situation wouldn't be too bad.
But I think the officer did check the system before telling me my FBI result hasn't returned yet (I saw him very carefully entering my name into the system & spent like more than 2 minutes staring at the monitor;) )
Looks like it's due to the slow processing of FBI.

I'll keep updated once I have the good news!

princesskate said:
Thanks guys. Hope the situation wouldn't be too bad.
But I think the officer did check the system before telling me my FBI result hasn't returned yet (I saw him very carefully entering my name into the system & spent like more than 2 minutes staring at the monitor;) )
Looks like it's due to the slow processing of FBI.

I'll keep updated once I have the good news!

I don't know how it works for you with I-485, but in the Citizenship forum we have a lot of people waiting for FBI Clearance for months and even years.
Hopefully you'll not have to wait that long.
:)

Wow :eek:

I start feeling helpless. I didn't realize it could take that long... *I thought it would be an one-month-maximum-task* How silly I am...

welcome to the club, if you want to join us we have a post in 485-issues in the forums. I wish you luck, I ve been waiting for my name 3 year from the FBI checking...

Hi Princess,
My case is similar to yours as my wife is a USC. Our interview went smoothly and the interview officer even told us that I will receive a letter for passport stamp in ONE month. He never mentioned anything about the pending FBI background check that I eventually found out after visiting the LADO.

I have 2 questions and I hope you or anybody can answer my doubts:
1. Do you have a receipt number that you can check your status online? I don't have one and I am not sure how to obtain this number. I did ask the immigration officer and they told me that there's no receipt for my case!
2. My EAD is going to be expired in August 2006. I just wonder when is the best time for me to extend my EAD?

Thanks for reading and any input is highly appreciated!

Road to Green Card:
LADO = Los Angeles District Office
SADO = Santa Ana District Office

03/24/2005 - Turned in Application to LADO
04/13/2005 - Check was cleared
08/09/2005 - FingerPrint for I-485 Done
08/15/2005 - Got my EAD at LADO
09/26/2005 - AOS interview at SADO
01/27/2006 - Informed file transferred to LADO, waiting for FBI background check.

happytnj said:
1. Do you have a receipt number that you can check your status online? I don't have one and I am not sure how to obtain this number. I did ask the immigration officer and they told me that there's no receipt for my case!
2. My EAD is going to be expired in August 2006. I just wonder when is the best time for me to extend my EAD?

1. Yea, you can find the number on your interview letter & go to https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp to check your status.

2. Well that's what I was asking on the other thread too :eek:
I think I'll bring my EAD & renew it in person when it's reaching the expiry date.

Actually I don't quite understand about the transfer to LADO thing. Does it mean you need to attend interview again or...?

Last edited by a moderator:
princesskate said:
2. Well that's what I was asking on the other thread too :eek:
I think I'll bring my EAD & renew it in person when it's reaching the expiry date.
...?
According to USCIS website, you should file for EAD renewal 6 months before it expires. So do not wait to reach it to expiry date. Since now you know FBI namecheck can take any period of time, you should go ahrad and apply for EAD renewal without waiting for GC approval.
You can not work between the time your EAD expire and your new EAD arrives. Also you can only get EAD in person if you have applied for EAD 90 days before and have not received it.

Hi Princess,
My interview letter only has the A# but not the 13 character application receipt number! I turned in my application to LADO and I obtained my EAD there as well. However, I have interview at SADO and I though my application would be by SADO and I was then told my file was transferred back to LADO. I don't think they are going to give me another interview but just processed through LADO.

Hi Amishah,
Thanks for your advice! I figured out that my EAD has been over 6 months and I definitely want to renew it asap. Do I go through the same process applying for the EAD again, I mean using the I-765 form?

happytnj said:
Hi Princess,
My interview letter only has the A# but not the 13 character application receipt number! I turned in my application to LADO and I obtained my EAD there as well. However, I have interview at SADO and I though my application would be by SADO and I was then told my file was transferred back to LADO. I don't think they are going to give me another interview but just processed through LADO.

On your interview appointment letter, there is an "Application Number" right above your name & address. I use that number to check my status. :)

happytnj said:
Hi Amishah,
Thanks for your advice! I figured out that my EAD has been over 6 months and I definitely want to renew it asap. Do I go through the same process applying for the EAD again, I mean using the I-765 form?
Yes you use the same form. You can do it online too.

Hi Princess,
My interview letter didn't come with the application number, only the file number which is also the A#. That's why I have hard time checking my status online. I called the 1800 number a couple of times and they are also asking for the receipt number. It seems that I didn't have a receipt number.

Hi Amishah,
Is it better to file the EAD renewal application online?

happytnj said:
Hi Princess,
My interview letter didn't come with the application number, only the file number which is also the A#. That's why I have hard time checking my status online. I called the 1800 number a couple of times and they are also asking for the receipt number. It seems that I didn't have a receipt number.

How about the biometrics appointment letter & the notices confirming they received your applications? All of them should have the receipt # printed over there.

Good question though, I am not sure why all the documents sent to me by USCIS did not have any 13-character receipt number including the receipt stated they received my application, all they have is the A#. I will definitely ask the immigration officer during next appointment. Thanks a lot!

happytnj said:
Hi Amishah,
Is it better to file the EAD renewal application online?
People are saying that online EAD is better and faster. I personally haven't used it. My husband is Computer Professional and he develops this kind of website applications and that is why he doesn't trust them. :eek: :rolleyes: So we mailed the application.

I filed my AOS application before April 1, 2005 to Los Angeles District Office. Now I am going to file an EAD renewal under (c) (9). According to the I-765 pdf documentation, I should file the renewal application to the same USCIS district office I sent my AOS application to and that is:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O.Box 532499
Los Angeles CA 90053-2499

I just wanna double check with you folks before I send my EAD renewal, thanks!