AOS approval delayed due to FBI clearance

helponline1

Registered Users (C)
I filed for AOS in last second week of Apr 05, and did biometric ( code 3) in 3rd week of may May 05. Even before I did my biometric, I recived the NOA for interview ( June 10th). Someone told me that there is some pilot program going on for family based AOs and I should get my GC within 90 days , i.e on the interview day.
After the interview was over the officer said that the case is approvable but could not stamp 551, becase though the results of fingerprinting were received, the FBI clearance was not revceived.
I am now stuck, and noone knows how long will it take for FBI clearance.
Can anyone please help me and tell me their experiences on the delay of approval of AOS application due to the non availability of FBI clearance

Last edited by a moderator:

Can you post more information about you case? Also the service center and where did you file the case from? Did the local office at all handle case? or the
ins

PHP:
I have actually filed for I-485 and I-765 concurrently. I have an approved I-130, the priority date of which is current. I filed in July 16,2005
ND: July 22, 2005 For both I-765 and I -485
FP: Aug 5, 2005
LUD on I-485  updated of receipt of FP on Aug 23, 2005
I-765 approved on Sep 15, 2005 posted on Sep 17,2005
EAD Card received on Sep 20, 2005
I-485 LUD on Sep 17, 2005

helponline1 said:
I filed for AOS in last second week of Apr 05, and did biometric ( code 3) in 3rd week of may May 05. Even before I did my biometric, I recived the NOA for interview ( June 10th). Someone told me that there is some pilot program going on for family based AOs and I should get my GC within 90 days , i.e on the interview day.
After the interview was over the officer said that the case is approvable but could not stamp 551, becase though the results of fingerprinting were received, the FBI clearance was not revceived.
Can anyone please help me and tell me their experiences on the delay of approval of AOS application due to the non availability of FBI clearance
Hi helponline1
My case is the same as yours - I filed I-130 and I-485 in Sep 2004 in Houston TX, had the interview in Mar 2005. The officer said the same thing - case is all good but cannot stamp passport until FBI Name Check is complete. Now we're in October and still nothing (more than 6 months after the interview). The only thing I could do is renew my I-765 and I-131. My lawyer said there's nothing that can be done and we just have to wait. Some people suggest you talk to your senator or congressperson but again no guarantees there too.

Do you have any thoughts?

I am in the exact situation. I had my AOS interview last monday. The interview went well. At the end, the officer told me that my FBI clearance wasn't back yet. He gave me his card and asked me to call him every month to check.

I asked him how long the wait will; he said from 1 week to years. He couldn't give me an exact timeframe.

When I talked to my attorney, he said this happens in about 30% of cases. He told me not to worry and sit tight.

You also have the option of suing the INS. I believe it's called a writ of Mandamus Action.

In the meantime, I had to file to renew my EAD and AP.

helponline1 said:

phila_babu said:
I am in the exact situation. I had my AOS interview last monday. The interview went well. At the end, the officer told me that my FBI clearance wasn't back yet. He gave me his card and asked me to call him every month to check.

I asked him how long the wait will; he said from 1 week to years. He couldn't give me an exact timeframe.

When I talked to my attorney, he said this happens in about 30% of cases. He told me not to worry and sit tight.

You also have the option of suing the INS. I believe it's called a writ of Mandamus Action.

In the meantime, I had to file to renew my EAD and AP.

Just wondering, suing INS (US Govt) might not a good idea. Specially when you are not even permanent resident. It must be your attorney's advice. :)

That was actually my attorney's idea. But, suing the INS is no big deal when you have nothing to hide and/or fear. I have a clean background so I can do that. Also, they can't deport you or anything since you're here legally and (I am assuming) being married to a USC. The worst that can happen is they'll make you spend a lot of money because they are the goverment, they print money :).

We still live in a country of law. In my I am a Canadian citizen. I am just a flight away from home. I am not desperate.

int0928 said:
Just wondering, suing INS (US Govt) might not a good idea. Specially when you are not even permanent resident. It must be your attorney's advice. :)

suing INS ?

On what grounds do you want to Sue the INS for? it's the FBI that is holding up the security Check so I guess you have to sue the FBI but then FBI will have immunity in this case caz it is national security issue.
So I guess your lawyer just wants to bill you for nothing. I would recommend go talk to a congressman or senator and they are more helpful in this matter.

Best of Luck.

A writ of Mandamus Action is a legal procedure that will basically force INS to make a decision on your case. They will either have to approve it or reject it. But for them to make that decision, they need all the facts. This is where the FBI comes in. I believe they must complete the name check within 45 days. In any event, it becomes an inter-agency problem, not yours. Does that answer your question? If i spoke out of school, let the gurus in this forum correct me.

bps01 said:
On what grounds do you want to Sue the INS for? it's the FBI that is holding up the security Check so I guess you have to sue the FBI but then FBI will have immunity in this case caz it is national security issue.
So I guess your lawyer just wants to bill you for nothing. I would recommend go talk to a congressman or senator and they are more helpful in this matter.

Best of Luck.

phila_babu said:
A writ of Mandamus Action is a legal procedure that will basically force INS to make a decision on your case. They will either have to approve it or reject it. But for them to make that decision, they need all the facts. This is where the FBI comes in. I believe they must complete the name check within 45 days. In any event, it becomes an inter-agency problem, not yours. Does that answer your question? If i spoke out of school, let the gurus in this forum correct me.

Here is what a writ of Mandamus means
MANDAMUS - The name of a writ, the principal word of which when the proceedings were in Latin, was mandamus, we command.

It is a command issuing in the name of the sovereign authority from a superior court having jurisdiction, and is directed to some person, corporation, or, inferior court, within the jurisdiction of such superior court, requiring them to do some particular thing therein specified, which appertains to their office and duty, and which the superior court has previously determined, or at least supposes to be consonant to right and justice.

Mandamus is not a writ of right, it is not consequently granted of course, but only at the discretion of the court to whom the application for it is made; and this discretion is not exercised in favor of the applicant, unless some just and useful purpose may be answered by the writ.

This writ was introduced io prevent disorders from a failure of justice; therefore it ought to be used upon all occasions where the law has established no specific remedy, and where in justice and good government there ought to be one. Mandamus will not lie where the law has given another specific remedy.

The 13th section of the act of congress of Sept. 24, 1789, gives the Supreme Court power to issue writs of mandamus in cases warranted by the principles and usages of law, to any courts appointed or persons holding office, under the authority of the United States. The issuing of a mandamus to courts, is the exercise of an appellate jurisdiction, and, therefore constitutionally vested in the supreme court; but a mandamus directed to a public officer, belongs to original jurisdiction, and by the constitution, the exercise of original jurisdiction by the supreme court is restricted to certain specified cases, which do not comprehend a mandamus. The latter clause of the above section, authorizing this writ to be issued by the supreme court to persons holding office under the authority of the United States, is, therefore, not warranted by the constitution and void.

The circuit courts of the United States may also issue writs of mandamus, but their power in this particular is confined exclusively to those cases in which it may be necessary to the exercise of their jurisdiction.
Yes you will be given your due process right under the 14th amendment . However, the legal cost will be paid by you.

So if you wana go there and blow your money , it's your $$ b/c unless you are in deportation you have no cause of action to sue a.k.a gounds to sue b/c you have a EAD so you can work so unless you need security clearance to work for the govt. I dont see a cause of action. But try it so we can know. Maybe you can make history and set a precident.

People in the same scenario have gone to congressman or senators and they have got the FBI to speed up or the INS gets 30 days to approve it or deny the application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said it was a right. I said it was a means to force the government to make a decision. The INS has no execuse to keep people waiting for years and years. This is incompetence and it's wrong. A name check shouldn't take that long, i don't care how many cases they have. If we can put a man on the moon, surely we can find out if someone is a terrorist.

bps01 said:
Here is what a writ of Mandamus means
MANDAMUS - The name of a writ, the principal word of which when the proceedings were in Latin, was mandamus, we command.

It is a command issuing in the name of the sovereign authority from a superior court having jurisdiction, and is directed to some person, corporation, or, inferior court, within the jurisdiction of such superior court, requiring them to do some particular thing therein specified, which appertains to their office and duty, and which the superior court has previously determined, or at least supposes to be consonant to right and justice.

Mandamus is not a writ of right, it is not consequently granted of course, but only at the discretion of the court to whom the application for it is made; and this discretion is not exercised in favor of the applicant, unless some just and useful purpose may be answered by the writ.

This writ was introduced io prevent disorders from a failure of justice; therefore it ought to be used upon all occasions where the law has established no specific remedy, and where in justice and good government there ought to be one. Mandamus will not lie where the law has given another specific remedy.

The 13th section of the act of congress of Sept. 24, 1789, gives the Supreme Court power to issue writs of mandamus in cases warranted by the principles and usages of law, to any courts appointed or persons holding office, under the authority of the United States. The issuing of a mandamus to courts, is the exercise of an appellate jurisdiction, and, therefore constitutionally vested in the supreme court; but a mandamus directed to a public officer, belongs to original jurisdiction, and by the constitution, the exercise of original jurisdiction by the supreme court is restricted to certain specified cases, which do not comprehend a mandamus. The latter clause of the above section, authorizing this writ to be issued by the supreme court to persons holding office under the authority of the United States, is, therefore, not warranted by the constitution and void.

The circuit courts of the United States may also issue writs of mandamus, but their power in this particular is confined exclusively to those cases in which it may be necessary to the exercise of their jurisdiction.
Yes you will be given your due process right under the 14th amendment . However, the legal cost will be paid by you.

So if you wana go there and blow your money , it's your $$ b/c unless you are in deportation you have no cause of action to sue a.k.a gounds to sue b/c you have a EAD so you can work so unless you need security clearance to work for the govt. I dont see a cause of action. But try it so we can know. Maybe you can make history and set a precident.

People in the same scenario have gone to congressman or senators and they have got the FBI to speed up or the INS gets 30 days to approve it or deny the application.

phila_babu said:
That was actually my attorney's idea. But, suing the INS is no big deal when you have nothing to hide and/or fear. I have a clean background so I can do that. Also, they can't deport you or anything since you're here legally and (I am assuming) being married to a USC. The worst that can happen is they'll make you spend a lot of money because they are the goverment, they print money :).

We still live in a country of law. In my I am a Canadian citizen. I am just a flight away from home. I am not desperate.

Plus, if the delays are by the government, one shouldn't have to pay ever increasing fees every year. Why should one person have to pay more for exactly the same (perhaps worse) service than another just because they are told that their application is in a status that is for all practical purposes non-verifiable.

I think this is purely revenue related. Someone should check whether all the people being held up for "repeat AP/EAD application fees" are 'comfortably' over some income threshold. What is this name check business anyway? Assuming that everyone awaiting a detailed name check is a possible terror suspect (otherwise the hold is just a waste of time), what is the FBI doing leaving these possible troublemakers walking around the country for months and years before they get to "check them out properly". So obviously, security isn't the issue here. That leaves us with the money - a captive revenue stream that will fork over approx $400 every year for renewals. Every 2500 people in this stream plugs a Million Dollar budget gap. I suspect that if INS/USCIS was allowed to collect these fees only once, these applicaitons would get processed quite quickly.

Also, its not like the Green Card gives you any immunity from the law - or that its harder to prosecute a resident v/s a non-resident. I say, if the feds think a person is a terrorist, go pick them up (quickly please), otherwise, process the applications and let the rest of us trying to migrate to this country legally get on with our lives.

GungaDin said:
Also, its not like the Green Card gives you any immunity from the law - or that its harder to prosecute a resident v/s a non-resident. I say, if the feds think a person is a terrorist, go pick them up (quickly please), otherwise, process the applications and let the rest of us trying to migrate to this country legally get on with our lives.

Actually, if you have a GC then you are afforded full due process rights and therefore you cannot be just picked up and held for a longtime or taken to another country. Aliens can be.

Permamnent Residency

I find it kind of interesting to see the anxiety you guys are going through, waiting for your green cards. My wife is a US citizen, my daughters are born here and are US citizens, and I applied for the card in 2003, and still don't have anything. I have contacted my senator and congressman, both of whom just check the status, thats it. They didn't do anything for me. And, I am actually waiting to join the US Army, so you would figure that they would speed it up, nope, I am just getting older and older...Good Luck