Anyone know AZ law??

Edd224

Registered Users (C)
My lawyer has left the city and "handed" my case to a different attorney whom i have never met.

Am I entitled to a copy of everything in the file?
He has documents I don't have copies of.

Does this new immigration attorney have the right to look in my file?

Can i take the file back or is it property of my original attorney?

Thanks.. I am 12 mos post interview waiting FBI name check, and just want to have all the info available IN MY HANDS.

Edd

Edd224 said:
Am I entitled to a copy of everything in the file?

---> Yes

Does this new immigration attorney have the right to look in my file?

---> If he is an employee of the previous attorney, and the G-28 (lawyer representation form) you signed during 485 filing was with a firm. Depends how it is structured.

Can i take the file back or is it property of my original attorney?

---> It is ur property. You can take it back. Except the LC/140 papers in there of course, which are ur employers property and the lawyer, if he was hired by your employer, may give those back to ur employer only.

Thanks.. I am 12 mos post interview waiting FBI name check, and just want to have all the info available IN MY HANDS.

---> Ask the newbie to copy everything and send it to you. They can charge for copying but that is it. If he doesn't agrees, threaten to file a complain with AILA (immigration lawyer association) - it can get him debarred.

On the other hand though, you may be over reacting to the lawyer's proactive approach to keep you covered while he is gone. Would suggest talk to the new guy and try to work out things, especially if he is ur company's lawyer.

And about ur question - AZ law - never heard of it though u may be talking about AC-21 law, which allows 485 applicant to change jobs after 6 months of filing/140 approval.

goodluck!

- ab