Anyone has similar situation?

HaveBeenWaiting

Registered Users (C)
My wife got her EAD approved in December 2002, and then applied for SSN on January 15th 2003. Now, it is more than 3 and half months and she still didn't receive her SSN!! She has ITIN for tax purpose.

Can she work using her EAD and ITIN?
Thanks!

It took about a week to get my wife's SS # after receiving EAD. Went to the local SS office and showed all docs. Also I dont think you can work legally till you get the SS #.

AS per as I know, SSN # is generated the next day u apply, though it takes 2-3 weeks for the actual card to arrive. U can call Social Security 800 # to know SSN. I would call SS office to get 800#.

Dude,

We had applied for my wife's SSN in May 2002 and it took a little over three months for the Social Security Administration to assign a SSN. The reason that was given to us was that they actually have to validate the information that you provide with the BCIS (it was the INS then). They have two ways of doing this. First they try accessing an online system. If they find your information well and good and if not then they send a manual inquiry to BCIS which is then processed (I presume this is not a high priority thing for BCIS anyway) and eventually the SSA gets a manual reply back with the relevant information. Prior to 9/11 it used to take a max of 2 weeks. Now it can take anywhere between 2 weeks to 4 months. Hope this helps.

gcfasttrack

Thanks for your replies.
I have heard exactly the same thing that if they can't verify information with BISC online then they send manual inquiry to BISC and it may take long while. I called 800 numbers couple of time but the response, wait wait and wait...

But, the question is can she work now?
I know of my friend's wife is working without SSN, but she has work authorization!

w/o SSN number, probably cannot work. The employer need SSN to file I-9.

to get SSN for my spouse, it took 2 months and 5 trips to SSA local office. I think you need visit ur local SSA office, show them all docs (pass, EAD & I-485 rec) and talk to them face to face.

by the way, ur wife can start to work if she gets a SSN number before SSN card is ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she have a job in hand? If so you should talk to the employer and see if they agree to let her start working and update the records when she finally get the SSN. Theoretically the SSN is needed by the end of the year to report wages to the IRS. The I9 does have a SSN field but the employer is not supposed to file the I9 anywhere and is infact needed incase there is an audit by the DOL. A big company however I am sure would not agree to this since most of the HR systems don't even let you enter employee data without the SSN.

In the case she doesn't have to job she should start looking for one immediately since I wouldn't be suprised if she gets the SSN in the next couple of weeks. In my wife's case she got a job but had to wait for two to three weeks before she got her SSN to join.

Although there is no field to fill SSN, I-9 requires the copy SS card
(see the instruction of I-9). If you have a SSN, the local SSA office
can print out a paper w/SSN that can be used instead of SS card
temporarily.

What GCfasttrack said is correct, the employer does not need to
file I-9 anywhere, but needs to file (enroll & retain) it.

Here is the link to I-9.
http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: