Anyone had Trouble Travelling with only Stamp in Passport, What To Take

Bongo

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I\'m going out of the country for my brother\'s wedding in
a few weeks.

I have a I551 Stamp in my passport (valid til Feb 2003)
and my passport is valid till Nov 2002.

Has anyone recently had any trouble getting into the country.

What documents do I need to take with me?

Thanks,

Bongo

485 approval?

When I went for my passport stamping they took the approval notice. You seem to indicate otherwise. Did I miss something here? Please clarify.
Thanks.

courtesy copy is fine

Official at Boarding pass issue counter in Singapore Airport, asked my wife to show additional proof. She showed 485 approval notice ( I think it is courtesy copy ). No questions asked later.

No Title

The stamp alone must be accepted. Think of the situation if you did CP. In that case, there is no official approval document of your status other than the passport stamp (or card if you have it already) -- you might have kept a copy of the Immigrant Visa but that is really meaningless since the copy does not show any documentation that you processed the IV at a POE.

If you have problems with the stamp at the airport, ask to talk to a supervisor. Eventually you\'ll find someone knowledgable. It doesn\'t hurt to have the I-485 approval notice copy or IV copy but isn\'t mandatory.

Not an issue

I just returned. I was carrying the 485 approval courtesy copy. I was not asked anything on my to journey . On my return journey I presented my PP at the immigration counter and they asked about GC and I said I haven\'t got it yet. That was it. Immigration guys stamped my PP and said \'Welcome Back\' ... That is it ... But it is safe to carry courtsey notice because you never know what kind of guy you are going to meet ...

PP stamp at Airport

silentwatcher,

When u returned from ur journey and the INS officer stamped ur PP, did he write anything on the stamp.

Thanks

Aamer

silentwatcher, one question for you !

When you entered using PP stamp, did u get any kind of for similar to I94 (which we used to get when we entered on any non-immigrant visa) ??

What does the stamp(which immigration officer put, when u entered US) say ??

I\'m sure there is no limit on the length of time we can stay in US, after we get GC stamp on passport, but just want to know, if there is any such thing after PP stamping.

thanks

No I94

or any other form you have to fill. It is only the custom declaration form which you still have to fill. The stamp on PP indicates the date of entry and that is it ...

Yes I travelled to India and Back only on the Stamp

Hi,

I got my PP stamped in Sept 2001 and travelled to India in December. While comming back at the Alitalia counter in Mumbai airport the lady refused to believe that I have a green card. Because the I-551 stamp says nothing about the GC or even to which country it belongs. Luckily I had a valid H1 so said there was no problem. Similarly in Milan the lady at the security check refused to believe the stamp. Again she said she was assuming I was on H1. However at JFK there was no problem. I just stood in the US Citizens line. I had to go to a special room to get my passport stamped. There I guess they accessed my file and verified my status. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. I would suggest that you carry your I485 approval with you. In the US there is no problem, but outside USA especially in Europe many people don\'t know the stamp. You might have to do a lot of explaining there.

Best of luck.