• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Anyone from Hong Kong this year?

DV2010CAT

Registered Users (C)
I've got my NL just on 31 Jul. However, the NL was dated late May. Just wondering if it's postal delay or what.
Seems everyone here has already returned the documents to KCC. I will do it asap but would it affect my chance of being selected for interview in the coming days?
Also, what does it mean by high or low case number? Any Asian people with case number > 17xxx got the GC in the past few years?

Congratulations!

Your number could probably be called a medium level number - not very low, but not too high either. If you had been in DV2009 you would have had your interview in about April (but the rate they get through them varies a little each year).

Send the forms back as soon as possible, but as you won't be having your interview until at least next year you don't have to worry about it effecting when you get your interview. If you had a number of under about 5000, then it would be cutting it quite close for them to process your application before your interview and it may have been delayed, but with a number like yours you have plenty of time.

You can go back through archived visa bulletins and see if/when your case number was reached in previous years:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem one bit. Just look at my signature, you'll see the letter was mailed in May but was kept for so long at my mailbox in my country. When I went back and found out, I sent it around Aug and everything went through fine. I got a bit headache during interview related to my incomplete ducument. Yet, I still finally make it

Thanks all.
Just wondering, if you get an VISA by June, when would you need to move to US? Is it within 6 month upon the issue date of the visa? I have some properties in my home country and I guess it would take me some time to sell them and prepare for the move.

Thanks all.
Just wondering, if you get an VISA by June, when would you need to move to US? Is it within 6 month upon the issue date of the visa? I have some properties in my home country and I guess it would take me some time to sell them and prepare for the move.

Yes, you have to enter the US within 6 months of the date of issue of the visa. If you still have stuff to organise back in your home country you can enter the US and then return home for up to a year - but you MUST pass through US immigration within the 6 months.

Yes, you have to enter the US within 6 months of the date of issue of the visa. If you still have stuff to organise back in your home country you can enter the US and then return home for up to a year - but you MUST pass through US immigration within the 6 months.

Thanks so much MarcNZ.

Then that means, say, if I get my visa by April 2010, then I need to enter US to for some adminsitrative procedure and activate the Green Card no later than Oct 2010. And then, say, I get the Green Card by August 2010, I can return to my home country to prepare for the move, but must return to US by July 2011? Actually I'm just thinking how much time I would need to get my assets in my home country sold and whether I can let my kids finish their academic year by July 2011 before starting over new life in US.

And I'm wondering, after I have got the green card, does it mean that I need to start paying US tax right away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much MarcNZ.

You're welcome.

Then that means, say, if I get my visa by April 2010, then I need to enter US to for some adminsitrative procedure and activate the Green Card no later than Oct 2010.

That's correct.

And then, say, I get the Green Card by September, I can return to my home country to prepare for the move, but must return to US by August 2011?

You don't actually even have to wait for your physical green card if you don't want to. The visa in your passport can act as your green card for up to one year from the date it was stamped by immigration. You can then have your green card forwarded on to you in your home country by the person who's address you asked it to be sent to (Question 11, form DS-230).

You will have to return within one year of the date you departed the US. You should also be aware though, that for stays outside the US of over 6 months you should be prepared for a few more question at immigration about why you were away for so long. It shouldn't be a problem for somebody with legitimate reasons, but it is something I have heard to expect.

And I'm wondering, after I have got the green card, does it mean that I need to start paying US tax right away?

You will need to start filling in tax returns from the date you enter the US the first time, but whether or not you will actually have to pay taxes will depend how much you have made and in which countries (I haven't worked out all of this myself yet).

Thanks MarcNZ!
Since I have some properties and investments in my home country, I'm thinking whether I should have them sold before I first enter US.