Anyone being questioned for few trips less than 6 months

ontheroad

Hi I went to naturalization interview, and the officer saw I have three long trips (all less than 6 months, 170 days, 170 days, and 150 days respectively, happened right after I got my green card), and send me a notice to request document to proof I did not abandon my residency.

I didn't have a house in the U.S. and lived in my relatives' house at that time, I filed tax all these years as a residence, listed my relatives' address as residence address, and was simply trying very hard to search for job opportunities in the U.S during these early years while need to take these trips so my parent back at my home country can help me with my young kids.

I rented my own place right after these three long trips, as I finally got a career path settled here.

Has anyone encountered the same experience? What is the outcome?

Would really appreciate any of your thoughts and experiences!

Residency is more about intent than about the length of time you are out. It is usually evaluated based on the totality of the circumstances. Some adjudicators can be strict about it and some will not even worry if the trip is less than 6 months. In your case, it seems like a combination of borderline (close to 180 days) trips along with the fact that you did not have a job and didnt have a house. You can show your family ties in US, your taxes and any other financial ties (bank accounts, investments etc. ) and write an explanation about your situation. Most likely you should be fine. I don't think they have enough clear proof that you have lost your residency based on what you said. It's more of a fishing expedition.

A few problems are bothering me. Do you know anything about the trendy 2 person canoe? I need some information on this. Would you mind sharing your experience?