Any thoughts, please ???

AnuD

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks,

I am thinking on totally new direction. Thought would share with you and invite suggestions/corrections/warnings/what-so-ever.

First of all, ND-Aug-01-2002,RD-Jul-29-2002. Vermont Center. EAD and AP received. FP done for me, for my spouse no notice yet - already sent three fax enquiries, no response.

Lost project at November-end. Since then have been trying to find out something, however, things are not working out. Employer has already stopped payment and insurance I am paying on my own.

Don't know how long I should and could continue this thing. The upcoming war is still putting some additional chaos to economy and job-situation.

In this scenario, if I decide to leave US and go back to India, what happens with my GC process ? Can I keep it active and still take benefits ? My employer initially said they have some projects in India where I can join, however, now he is keeping mum on it. So, in that case, am I likely to lose my GC ? Can I come again later ? Is there any paper-work/forms to be filled in to kind of cancel my GC before leaving ? Whom is it to be sent ? Can it be re-activated - 485 is filed by person, right ?

Any other thoughts ? guidelines ? suggestions ? Warnings ?
And yes, would really like to know what you guys feel about this economy ? Anyone recently 'getting' job ?? And lastly, can anyone give me job ???

thanks in advance...

Some advice..since you asked

The strict conditions are as follows, to the best of my understanding:

GC is based on a future job req, however, most people apply for it based on their current employment with the idea of remaining employed with the sponsoring company. In your case the future job idea would be worth exploring.

Typically, your current GC application is based on a Labour Certification and the I-140 that your employer filed for you, even though you filed 485 without employer’s consent, you may need to show W2’s, pay stubs as evidence that you are still employed with the company. Though most attorneys recommend including this at the time of filing. This evidence can be requested later in the process, usually at decision, in the form of an RFE. This also happens to be the most popular form of RFE.

Finally and thankfully, you have the option of invoking AC21, you don’t need to do any paperwork, just find another job in any of the 50 states and make sure your salary is above the prevailing wage of the state. This is your simplest, safest and most logical option in my opinion.

Here’s what I would do:

If I am planning to go to India, I wouldn’t recommend canceling the GC, after all while there you could conceivably change your mind and return to the US and invoke AC21 and still be in the driver’s seat.

Look, I know the economy is tough and if you keep thinking this way it will become self-fulfilling; don’t do that! We still live in a country where the unemployment rate is next to zero, ok5.94 to be exact, that is still very low compared to other industrialized nations. No matter where you live, most of us will have to work and work hard, so work as diligently as you can to get the job that more or less matches your labour description. I know it is difficult but it is very doable. Even if the job pays the benefits, the bills and exceeds the prevailing wage it should suffice, assuming that I am not overly compromising your lifestyle. It really depends on how important the GC is to you. If you wish to live here a few years out, I would be aggressive about another job and complete the GC process.

Deciding to live in the US is not about wealth and opportunity but the decision is one about life style. If you like the life style you have here or think you could have here with a little bit of effort, great! If not, then the alternative maybe more suitable. Probably a topic for another day. My apologies for pontificating.

If you are focused on getting the GC, stay here, get a job. You are almost there. Don’t rely too much on your current employer, there are many others to choose from. You have many things going for you. A lot of jobs these days require you to be a citizen or a permanent resident. You know what? You qualify. You don’t need sponsorship, you have an EAD you can work anywhere without sponsorship, you may need to request an employment letter but then again GC holders and Citizen’s also reach out to the HR department from time to time with that request.

Good luck and god bless you.

-harris

Yes Harris I must say. I myself was thinking not about jobs but some of the other things I am facing (like not being able to go to India for my sisters wedding because my job is demanding) and wondering if all this is really worth it.
You do make me realize that life is all about choices YOUR choices and to stand for them is a duty you have to yourself. I was feeling extremely depressed this morning but you make me feel a lot better. So Thanx.

Good job, Harris,

A perfect, complete and clear message.

Appreciate your answer, it is going to help lot of people on this forum.

AnuD:
Well, even if you do decide to go to India while your 485 is pending make sure you are in possession of an AP before leaving, else it would be construed that you're abandoning your 485. I understand that it's difficult to find a suitable job in this economy but if you keep trying things will work out. I was at home for about 3-1/2 months last year after I lost my job, but I kept trying and finally landed one. After that I got an even better job this Jan. So, don't give up. Life's tough but you gotta take it in your stride. Keep all your options open. Something or the other will work out soon. Best of Luck!

Well said 'HarrisFeb2002'

Wish You Good Luck AnuD. Don't lose your spirits. I was on Leave without Pay for around 6 months in 2002. Though in my case, my spouse was working on her EAD at $9.00 per hour. We cut down on many expenses.

During my leave without pay time, I kept looking for jobs and did lot of reading. And I never wanted to leave Washington DC metro area, so options were less.

I always had just one thing in my mind, INDIA is our country and is always there for us. So I thought, I will fight with my situation till all options are closed.

With God grace finally I found a job in Washington DC metro area and that too of my liking. Pay is much more, and company is much better than previous one. I joined the new company from Feb 10th. I do understand that in this economy job hunting is difficult but for sure there are still some openings.
So cheer up, don't lose the spirits and fight back with your situation.

I hope things work out for you soon.

Good Luck