Any Rule in Stock Trading for H1-B?

woonhee

Registered Users (C)
I guess lots of people are trying to figure out ways to do their own business in sideline while they are in the process of GC. The fact that doing a business with your own name is an violation for INS regulation is a surely frustration to anyone who's mindset is naturally entrepreneur. I had the same question myself and decided not to go that route until I get my GC. I could establish a LLC with US partner and take just profit without involving into the business at all. However, that doesn't just suit me.
I have another question, though. I think I came across this issue from another thread the other day, but couln't find it again. Someone said that heavy stocking trading such as day trading could be violatoin of H1-B status. If that's true, does anyone know where BCIS draws the line? I trade stocks quite often (5-10 times on average monthly) although I'm not a daytrader. Does it mean that I'm in violation of my H1-B status?

hi

as you say you are trading quiet often in month so you are not violating any H1-B rules.However if you trade large investments in stocks regularly it can put you under scanner of rules

If one starts trading huge investments regularly it will bring you under the scanners. But you are trading only few times in a month, I think that is quite okay.

If one starts trading huge investments regularly it will bring you under the scanners. But you are trading only few times in a month, I think that is quite okay.

Trading any time it doesn't matter. But, trading frequently will help people to have a huge profit and also the account will be activated always. An excellent stock trading training lessons basically makes a person a successful investor. These trainings will exactly forecast which stocks are about to have a profit.

I guess lots of people are trying to figure out ways to do their own business in sideline while they are in the process of GC. The fact that doing a business with your own name is an violation for INS regulation is a surely frustration to anyone who's mindset is naturally entrepreneur. I had the same question myself and decided not to go that route until I get my GC. I could establish a LLC with US partner and take just profit without involving into the business at all. However, that doesn't just suit me.
I have another question, though. I think I came across this issue from another thread the other day, but couln't find it again. Someone said that heavy stocking trading such as day trading could be violatoin of H1-B status. If that's true, does anyone know where BCIS draws the line? I trade stocks quite often (5-10 times on average monthly) although I'm not a daytrader. Does it mean that I'm in violation of my H1-B status?

The answer is really simple. There are two types of stock trading. Investment and speculation. Now when it comes to stocks the investment is a passive investment, kind of like a savings account, rather than an active investment such as a franchise where you also work and make business decisions at. Now, if you are an "investor" then the actual act of trading is not going to be making you any money, that's not an investors intent. The investor wants to make money passively like when people buy bonds or CDs.

The other type, the speculating trader is a different story. Here you are actually trying to make money BY YOUR ACTIONS and that counts as an "occupation" because your intent is to make money off the buying and selling of securities, bonds and derivatives etc. So yes...everyone gets a 1099 from their broker at the end of the year and puts the profit or loss on their overall tax profile and even if you are not classified as a daytrader you can still be accused of the violation. I think your instincts are correct that there is a potential risk. I'd talk to an accountant and lawyer about this issue since I've never really heard anything about it.

well he is not gonna make any money by trading stocks or speculating on it so point is missed

YEAH RIGHT ...good trading system ..heheh..you are crazy ...in this country 1% of rich people holds 90 of stocks and bonds ..THEY RULE THE GAME ..SOME WANNA BE TRADER FROM NOWHERE IS GONNA GO BUST IN WEEKS ..YOU WILL BE BANKRUPT IN NO TIME ..MARK MY WORDS..EVERY YEAR I SEE BUNCH OF NAIVE '' TRADERS'' COMMING OVER TALKING BIG AND GOING BACK HOME FLAT BROKE ..avoid that racket like a plague .. the game is rigged long time ago..better luck you might have in Vegas counting cards or playing bingo then investing or trading in stock market or speculating in anything which has to do with so called ''old money'' in this country ..