Any options other than Green Card after H1B?

vBrit1

Hi I work for a large company that has worldwide offices, one of which I work for in the US. I came over initially on an L1A and when it expired my company advised me to get the H1B as they said it would be better for me. This H1B will expire in 1 1/2 years, and now they are insisting that I apply for a Green Card or return to the UK. I have asked if it is possible to transfer to another visa but I can't get a straight answer from them.

What I would like to know, since I have knowledge that there are several other people in my office who transferred from an L1 to an E1 or E2, is whether it is possible for me to transfer from my H1B to and E1 or E2 when it expires, or renew the H1B. I would take the offer for the Green Card, as they are offering to pay for it, but I am not sure that I want to stay in the US forever, and they have said that I will have to sign a contract to stay with the company for three years after obtaining my Green Card, on penalty of paying them back all the fees that they paid to get it, and they use some very expensive lawyers. I have also been told that this is illegal?

If I could get the Green Card quickly I might consider this but they have also given me no information on how long it might take, so I could end up being here several years and owing them tens of thousands of dollars if I decide to return to the UK, and I've also read that I might be liable to pay US taxes in addition to this!

Any help gratefully received!