• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any Malaysian winners already residing in the USA?

Correct but he should have enough time, unless his interview is more than 13 months from now.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...t-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.
For country-specific guidelines on how to obtain acceptable police certificates, use the Document Finder above.

His interview could very well be more than a year from now. Interviews only start in October and they space them out, so one year from now about a third of selectees will still be waiting for interview. Makes no sense imo to apply for this any time soon.

Yeah. As I read that it would take quite a long time to get it (sthing ranges from a month to two), so I applied it before my DS260 submission. Lol.
In my case, it took only 3 working days and it is now ready to be collected. Too fast, never expected that.

Interview notification usually comes 6-8 weeks before interview, so most people wait till that - or at least until their number is published in the visa bulletin - before applying for police certificates.

so, how does it goes?
hey, it's been approved! Thanks so much for everyone's help here.

Now time to research on actually migrating. Was wondering if anyone has experience with the below?

1. After the activation trip, should I need to leave the states for more than 6 months to tie things up before actually migrating, do I need to apply for any special permission?
2. From the USCIS website, is it possible to track the progress of the greencard and roughly gauge when it will be delivered?
3. Can anyone collect my greencard on my behalf? I intend to put my friend's address and was wondering if she can collect it on my behalf?

Now time to research on actually migrating. Was wondering if anyone has experience with the below?

1. After the activation trip, should I need to leave the states for more than 6 months to tie things up before actually migrating, do I need to apply for any special permission?
2. From the USCIS website, is it possible to track the progress of the greencard and roughly gauge when it will be delivered?
3. Can anyone collect my greencard on my behalf? I intend to put my friend's address and was wondering if she can collect it on my behalf?

Congrats!!!!
I'll leave your questions to the pro to answer.

1. If it is below 1 year, you should be safe with having just the Green Card, if it is more than 1 year, you are better of having a Re-entry permit. So while you visit the USA to activate your visa, you need to apply for the re-entry permit I 131. But to do so, you need to at least be in the USA for min 6 weeks (that is the shortest time i have heard one had that form processed and got to the Biometrics) , or you can submit the form , leave and come back just for the biometric.

2. It is, but expect it within 6 weeks no more (from your first entry OR after you make the payment to USCIS [if this happens after your entry into the USA]). For some reasons, they are pretty quick on issuing a new GC but takes ages to replace a missing GC.

3. It will only be mailed. And it wont require signature so it USPS will just deliver it like a normal tracked mail (but as with all mails from the Gov, IT CANNOT BE REDIRECTED TO A DIFFERENT ADDRESS). Once you have chosen an address, if you did not change it at Port of Entry, it will be delivered to that address regardless of who is staying at the address at that time.

Hi, I wonder if anyone has gotten approved with ADTP as their Pre-U or high school equivalent? I took ADTP after SPM instead of A-Levels and went to study for my Bachelor's(3 years) and Masters( 2 years) in the USA. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am now back in Malaysia though.

I'm a little worried since ADTP isn't as prestigious as A-levels, SAM or IB even though it is tailored to an American curriculum. It's also something that only exists in Malaysia and is unheard of in other countries. It would make sense that since I got into a US university and a pretty prestigious one too (not boasting, just stating my case), I would have satisfied the high school requirement. Most US universities require a high school equivalent as a requisite for admission anyway. But I've heard stories of people getting rejected even though they have degrees. In my case I'm sure the SAT plays a role, but then all high schoolers need to take it or the ACT as well to get into college.

A-levels, in actuality, exceeds high school standards and most people who get admitted with it would be able to transfer credit and have a sophomore standing as I did with ADTP.

I'd like to hear from any Malaysians who have gotten their visa approved with either SPM or a Pre-U other than A-levels or STPM.

Thanks.

Last edited:
visa here you meant Diversity Visa Lottery - using SPM qualification?

ADTP/ADP (American Degree Foundation Program)? I do not think that counts as anything to be honest. It is not a "formal" program. Not being accredited at all i think (i could be wrong). Since you are only taking courses like English, Math, and some might take Advance Placement and more geared towards passing your SAT and TOEFL exams.

visa here you meant Diversity Visa Lottery - using SPM qualification?

ADTP/ADP (American Degree Foundation Program)? I do not think that counts as anything to be honest. It is not a "formal" program. Not being accredited at all i think (i could be wrong). Since you are only taking courses like English, Math, and some might take Advance Placement and more geared towards passing your SAT and TOEFL exams.
Yes, I am referring to SPM for Diversity Visa. I'm leaning towards a no for this.

As for the ADP, I think the programs are accredited by the Malaysian Qualification Agency. I took physics, chemistry, calculus, some social science and humanities in my ADP program. I would think that it would qualify since students take it for US universities to satisfy the 12th year of high school?

If ADP doesn't qualify, what programs would in your opinion. Excluding the A-levels, that is.

SPM should be fine though, did you find otherwise? (maybe i missed something, but i had always thought SPM (our version of High School certificate) is accepted. STPM is equivalent of A-levels. SPM = O-levels.

I am a bit fuzzy on the 12th year bit, i heard it was the case (hence people need to take ADP/ADFP to satisfy that), but our high school stops at SPM. and that is what considered as "standard" in Malaysia. I would expect it to be accepted as High School diploma that US would accept for DV lottery.

maybe @SusieQQQ could chip in.

"
The Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) Program requires the principal DV applicant to have a high school education, or its equivalent, or two years of qualifying work experience as defined under provisions of U.S. law.

If you do not have either the required education or qualifying work experience, you are not qualified to be issued a diversity visa. (Only you, as the principal applicant, must meet this requirement. Your spouse and children do not have to meet this requirement.) You should not continue with your DV application if you do not meet the qualifying education or work experience requirements explained below. You will not be issued a visa, and any fees you pay will not be refunded.

High School Education: A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the United States.

"

Let's not trouble @SusieQQQ again. She's responded to my question elsewhere and we couldn't come to a solid conclusion too.

I'm on the fence with SPM. It would be great if that was the minimum level. However, Malaysia follows the British model of education. Not to the T but its similar. For instance, we don't take the O-levels exams issued by Cambridge. Our exams are set by the Malaysian Education Department and SPM is the Malaysian equivalent to O-levels. In the UK, however, students have to take A-levels to be considered on par with a US High School Diploma. That's why I think SPM might not cut it. I have yet to hear from Malaysian DV winners as they are few and far between.

This also makes things a little confusing because most US universities accept SPM as their high school equivalent. I've not heard of anyone apply to a US college with their SPM results though. Most students who want to study in the US will either take the A-levels or ADP like me because of the lack of the 12th year of education. SAT and TOEFL are additional elements that students need to take on top of this. Of course, some colleges offer classes to prepare for these tests but they are outside of the formal curriculum.

The question of whether ADP is a formal course is also a hard one to answer. How is formal defined in this case? It's not definitive at all. Is it the accreditation and administration by a governing body like Cambridge or Edexel? In that case, ADP isn't formal. On one hand, it's accredited by local administrative bodies but on the other hand it's recognized by US colleges. So, I don't know where it stands on the basis of formality. Additionally, I can't imagine any program being offered by a Malaysian university not being accredited because no one would pay money to enroll in a program that has no recognition and credibility. It's the first thing everyone looks for when choosing a program because it determines their future job prospects. ADP is not like a GED either where you study for 3 months and take the test. Nor is it vocational because the courses are quite general in nature, only differentiated by concentration. But then again, so is the A-levels where there is an art, math and science stream.

In my opinion, A-levels, SAM, IB, ADTP, STPM, local Matriculation, Korean Matriculation are all in the same category and are formal programs in Malaysia. Students can't even get into local universities without completing and passing of the local programs. For those reasons, I would say ADP is formal. But at the end of the day, my opinion doesn't matter, it really depends on how much of an understanding the CO has on the education system in Malaysia.

I hope they are not briefed to only recognize A-levels or STPM. That would be a shame since those are only 2 out of the many choices we have. And if we were to nitpick even STPM wouldn't qualify because the exams written locally and accredited locally.

On a lighter note, @abumiqdad do you know of anyone who was approved for a DV with SPM? What was the qualification you used in your case?

Last edited:
Let's not trouble @SusieQQQ again. She's responded to my question elsewhere and we couldn't come to a solid conclusion too.

I'm on the fence with SPM. It would be great if that was the minimum level. However, Malaysia follows the British model of education. Not to the T but its similar. For instance, we don't take the O-levels exams issued by Cambridge. Our exams are set by the Malaysian Education Department and SPM is the Malaysian equivalent to O-levels. In the UK, however, students have to take A-levels to be considered on par with a US High School Diploma. That's why I think SPM might not cut it. I have yet to hear from Malaysian DV winners as they are few and far between.

This also makes things a little confusing because most US universities accept SPM as their high school equivalent. I've not heard of anyone apply to a US college with their SPM results though. Most students who want to study in the US will either take the A-levels or ADP like me because of the lack of the 12th year of education. SAT and TOEFL are additional elements that students need to take on top of this. Of course, some colleges offer classes to prepare for these tests but they are outside of the formal curriculum.

The question of whether ADP is a formal course is also a hard one to answer. How is formal defined in this case? It's not definitive at all. Is it the accreditation and administration by a governing body like Cambridge or Edexel? In that case, ADP isn't formal. On one hand, it's accredited by local administrative bodies but on the other hand it's recognized by US colleges. So, I don't know where it stands on the basis of formality. Additionally, I can't imagine any program being offered by a Malaysian university not being accredited because no one would pay money to enroll in a program that has no recognition and credibility. It's the first thing everyone looks for when choosing a program because it determines their future job prospects. ADP is not like a GED either where you study for 3 months and take the test. Nor is it vocational because the courses are quite general in nature, only differentiated by concentration. But then again, so is the A-levels where there is an art, math and science stream.

In my opinion, A-levels, SAM, IB, ADTP, STPM, local Matriculation, Korean Matriculation are all in the same category and are formal programs in Malaysia. Students can't even get into local universities without completing and passing of the local programs. For those reasons, I would say ADP is formal. But at the end of the day, my opinion doesn't matter, it really depends on how much of an understanding the CO has on the education system in Malaysia.

I hope they are not briefed to only recognize A-levels or STPM. That would be a shame since those are only 2 out of the many choices we have. And if we were to nitpick even STPM wouldn't qualify because the exams written locally and accredited locally.

On a lighter note, @abumiqdad do you know of anyone who was approved for a DV with SPM? What was the qualification you used in your case?

Ok, you have more info here, that may help judge.
First, when they say formal education, they generally mean (I think it’s even said somewhere) a 12 year or longer formal course. So if the ADP is adding that 12th year in (when you say SPM is the equivalent of O levels and that “Most students who want to study in the US will either take the A-levels or ADP like me because of the lack of the 12th year of education”) it makes it sound like the SPM is not sufficient (confused though by the fact that you claim it’s enough for entry into US colleges).
If the ADP is a separate qualification (not taken as part of your high school curriculum, at your high school) from my more general understanding of what they mean, it does not form part of what they mean by the formal coursework.
Again, you’ll probably get the best answer from the embassy, and again I think you’ll dodge this bullet anyway because you already have US university degrees.

Now,,, this is already more time than we normally spend on people who haven’t even won yet so I will indeed bow out of this conversation, please revive it if you get selected!

Ok, you have more info here, that may help judge.
First, when they say formal education, they generally mean (I think it’s even said somewhere) a 12 year or longer formal course. So if the ADP is adding that 12th year in (when you say SPM is the equivalent of O levels and that “Most students who want to study in the US will either take the A-levels or ADP like me because of the lack of the 12th year of education”) it makes it sound like the SPM is not sufficient (confused though by the fact that you claim it’s enough for entry into US colleges).
If the ADP is a separate qualification (not taken as part of your high school curriculum, at your high school) from my more general understanding of what they mean, it does not form part of what they mean by the formal coursework.
Again, you’ll probably get the best answer from the embassy, and again I think you’ll dodge this bullet anyway because you already have US university degrees.

Now,,, this is already more time than we normally spend on people who haven’t even won yet so I will indeed bow out of this conversation, please revive it if you get selected!

Thanks again for the reply @SusieQQQ

Here's a reference I got from the University of Michigan's website for international students. I went to U of M for both my degrees. No need to reply to this.
1575988997099.png

This is very country specific and really depends on how the embassy interperates the "at least a US high school diploma" part. At least in my country which has very few selectees with very high acceptance rates, the embassy is very lenient. For example, they will take your bachelors degree certificate instead of your high school diploma if u have one. They do not ask for financial statements nor do they bother to take the english translations. Considering Malaysia also has very few selectees and low levels of fraud, they should be more lenient and accept education completed beyond high school, in this case your bachelors degree. Cant say anything for sure though, individual COs have different satisfactory requirements. Best hope u are selected first anyways, no use of overthinking this if u end up not getting selected.