any idea if we can claim unemployment with 485 pending

longduegc_2004

Registered Users (C)
lost my job, is it okay if i fail for state unemployment insurance.
485 has been pending for more than an year and 140 got approved long back

thanks

You I-485 is in danger when you lost your job. Claiming unemployment probably won't make a difference but it might get CIS noticing you losing job.

IBelieve said:
We are Employment-Based!!!!

Short and to the Point! This is the greatest answer I read in a long time :D

It is almost like asking, can I collect alimony while my marriage based green card is pending? :D

rammyrammy said:
How about when fired, or lost JoB being an LPR?
Can we claim then??

I totally disagree with opinion expressed in this thread. GC is for future employment and if you have EAD, you are eligible for unemployment insurance. You should make sure that you have a smiliar job as in your labor certificate by the time your 485 gets approved. You claiming the benefits of unemployed insurance doesn't stop you from being eligible for GC.

*** said:
I totally disagree with opinion expressed in this thread. GC is for future employment and if you have EAD, you are eligible for unemployment insurance. You should make sure that you have a smiliar job as in your labor certificate by the time your 485 gets approved. You claiming the benefits of unemployed insurance doesn't stop you from being eligible for GC.
It is not clear to me what future employment means for GC. Isn't the I-485 dependent on approved I-140 which is attached to an existing employment? If so, wouldn't one be out of status when (s)he loses his(er) job when I-485 is pending?

If you are not the primary applicant, you can!

I got my unemployment benefits when I got laid off. My husband is the primary applicant.

wildthing said:
It is not clear to me what future employment means for GC. Isn't the I-485 dependent on approved I-140 which is attached to an existing employment? If so, wouldn't one be out of status when (s)he loses his(er) job when I-485 is pending?
You are eligible for greencard if at the time of your i-485 (not during the time its pending approval) approval you have a permanent job offer which is same or similar to labor application. Till you get your 485 gets approved your status will be pending adjustment of status.

My friend (primary) claimed unemployment for several months before his 485 was approved. You only need to prove that you have job in similar catrgory as your LC at the time of RFE.