any differentiation between "parking" ticket from traffic violation ?

Columbus_home

Registered Users (C)
On a back of an oath letter, there are series of questions. Question #4 asks: "Have you arrested, cited, charged, convicted,...for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations ?"

Few days back ( after the citizenship interview) I got a parking ticket ($50, for mistakenly parking in a bike lane) by the local office of city where I was visiting . I paid off the ticket on-line, and received an on-line confirmation of the payment made.

My oath ceremony is scheduled on Nov. 12, 2009.

My question:

(A) should I answer question #4 as 'Yes' ? does a parking ticket qualify for traffic violations as intended in the question #4 ?

I of course want to be truthful , but at the same time want to avoid any un- needed attention?

(B) Other thing perhaps I could consider is leaving question #4 blank and seeking this clarification from the immigration officer during the pre-oath interview. Is it possible ?

please advise.

Also, what do I need to carry to the oath ceremony in this regard ? any other proof of payment besides a printout of an internet payment confirmation.

All suggestions are appreciated on both A and B.

No! Parking is not a traffic violation against an individual at all. It would be foolish to even mention it during the interview. Remember it could have been anyone who parked the car in the wrong place; you, your wife, friend, co-worker, thief :D etc. Parking tickets are for a vehicle and a person is not convicted for a parking violation. So even admitting that you parked the car improperly would be unnecessary. It would be like admitting to someone that you j**k*d-off in your bathroom because you saw your neighbors hot wife that morning :D. Of course the onus to clear a parking ticket lies with the registered owner of the vehicle.

Thanks richmondva and sarrebal for your posts. They were very useful.
richmondva, thanks for the detailed explanation with several scenarios illustrating the point. I got it.