any chance of preponing interview at Chennai

GC1413

Registered Users (C)
I contacted the chennai consulate for a jan interview and there response was as below

We have requested a visa number for you from the Department of State, Washington, D.C. We will schedule an appointment for you when the visa number is allocated.

Note: Your immigrant visa interview date will be in February 2004 and not/not in January 2004.
Have there been cases were they have accomodated preponing interview dates? I am currently in India and since my wife can't travel after jan due to pregnancy, i had asked for a Jan interview.

If the issue is just visa number, what if someone who has a Jan interview requests a postponment? can't they accomodate one potential Feb candidate?

BTW is there a different number to contact chennai consulate other than 044-28112060? Was trying to see if I can contact someone else at the consulate who can help me.

Thanks!

Hi GC1413,

Why do they need to request a visa request number from washington DC?
I think you should be already having a case number (from NVC)?

I havd read in other threads where few people got their interviews preponed. But since consulate has responded negatively, i think it may not be possible for you at this moment.

What do you say kd, raju,???

Originally posted by GC1413
I contacted the chennai consulate for a jan interview and there response was as below

We have requested a visa number for you from the Department of State, Washington, D.C. We will schedule an appointment for you when the visa number is allocated.

{Though the language makes you think that they have
made a specific request for you, it is not generally the case.
Every month the Dept. of State allocates the visa numbers
to the consulates, based on their request.

They may have already got the specified numbers for Jan, and
hence they may not be able to accomodate you for Jan}

Note: Your immigrant visa interview date will be in February 2004 and not/not in January 2004.
Have there been cases were they have accomodated preponing interview dates? I am currently in India and since my wife can't travel after jan due to pregnancy, i had asked for a Jan interview.

{We have read about cases where the consulate has
reacted positively to candidates request. But I am
not sure whether the change was allowed within the month
or to an earlier month}

If the issue is just visa number, what if someone who has a Jan interview requests a postponment? can't they accomodate one potential Feb candidate?

BTW is there a different number to contact chennai consulate other than 044-28112060? Was trying to see if I can contact someone else at the consulate who can help me.

{Just my thoughts. It may not hurt to try one more time
with a letter from your wife's physician}

Thanks!

{my responses}

Raju

gc1413:

I totally concur with raju's point! Get a lettre for your wife's physician, fax it to the consulate or drop it off and then talk to the officer @ the consulate requesting a preponement! Consulate have been pretty considerate in such circumstances!

At the same time, if the interview falls in feb and cannot be rescheduled and if your son/ daughter is born in india then plan on filing his papers for CP so that he/ she too gets the green card. NEedless to say if you end up getting jan interview and the child is born in usa then the child is a citizen!

Raju any thoughts on the last point?