• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any age factor on visa issuance of DV lotto winner

myintak19

Hi all DV selectees,

I am a DV lottery 2014 selectee from Asia. I am 59-year old teacher and my hub is 60-year old health professional. Is there any effect or problem for issuance of visa because of old age? How many 60-year old and above people received DV lottery visas in previous years? What can we do to pass the visa interview and get the visa? I will appreciate your opinions and experiences. Thanks so much.

No there is no upper age limit. They will expect you to show you won't become a public charge so you might have to prove some level of savings.

If you are planning to resume your careers be aware that you both may have to requalify in some way to be able to practice your professions - but that has nothing to do with getting the visa.

Best of luck. Emigrating at your age is daunting - so I hope it works out for you!

I know someone who is also 59 and just got a DV visa a couple of weeks ago. Bear in mind healthcare is expensive and your access to for example Medicare, or the costs thereof, depend on how long you have contributed - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)#Eligibility (I don't know how/if this will change with Obamacare). I do know people who have wanted to bring their elderly parents over who haven't been able to because they would not qualify for Medicare or Medicaid and healthcare costs would be prohibitive. (I'm not trying to say 60 is elderly, but one should look ahead at these issues, and medical needs naturally increase with age.)

You'll probably find that the savings requirement will be higher than for a younger person, both because of the healthcare costs issue and obviously because you will have less working life in which to save up for retirement. (I don't know the person I referred to above well enough to ask financial details!)

Hi all DV selectees,

I am a DV lottery 2014 selectee from Asia. I am 59-year old teacher and my hub is 60-year old health professional. Is there any effect or problem for issuance of visa because of old age? How many 60-year old and above people received DV lottery visas in previous years? What can we do to pass the visa interview and get the visa? I will appreciate your opinions and experiences. Thanks so much.

Thanks for your replies. I will take everything into consideration.