Am I Screwed?

Irishalien

Registered Users (C)
I just realized this. I moved to the states when I was 6. I have my original Green Card. Do these expire? Was I supposed to get a new one when I turned 18? (I am 26 now) I have my citizenship interview on 1/10/06. Can someone inform me just how screwed I am?

Irishalien said:
I just realized this. I moved to the states when I was 6. I have my original Green Card. Do these expire? Was I supposed to get a new one when I turned 18? (I am 26 now) I have my citizenship interview on 1/10/06. Can someone inform me just how screwed I am?

Did you move to US by yourself? At 6? What about your parents? Yes, GC expires after 10 years, you needed to renew, if you got your GC when you were 6 then at 16 your parents or legal guardians needed to renew it for you. So could you be more specific?

Hmmm... did your parents become citizens? I wonder if you are already a citizen based upon that?

As to your question, no you are not screwed. Unless you were living out of the country all these years, you are still a permanent resident. The card may have expired, but your status has not.

Did you register for the Selective Service? if so, you will be ok.

I moved with my siblings and mother. Neither of my parents are citizens. I don't ever recall them telling me I had to renew my green card.

Irishalien said:
I moved with my siblings and mother. Neither of my parents are citizens. I don't ever recall them telling me I had to renew my green card.
Don't worry Irishalien, Relax man. Just like mentioned before, the Physical plastic card expires after 10 years, however, your status does not expire as a legal permanent resident even beyond those ten years. You can re-new your card anytime.

Sony