Am I eligible for US Citizenship?

skareddy

Hi,

I got my GC in Aug 96 (more than 6 yrs ago) in a family category while I am in India. I entered the country in 96\'Oct and took a re-entry permit and stayed in India for 2 years ..come back to US again 98\' Oct. I pretty much stayed in US since then (with some short vacations in between ..stayed more than 36 months in US). Some people say that I am eligible for citizenship and some say that I will not be.

I appreciate if any one suggest me if I am eligible now. If not when will I become eligible?

Thanks a lot in advance.

JoeF

Hi Joe
You do a very good job in this forum.

The citizenship does have lots of requirements but the no. of years is divided into two parts.

a) Have to have atleast 5 years after getting the GC
b) From the time you apply for the citizenship one needs to pass the 3 years of residency test counting backwards.

From the question asked the person fulfills the first req bcoz he got his GC 6 years back.

If he applies now for his citizenship he would also have passed the 3 years residency test bcoz he has been residing here continously from 98\'Oct onwards.

So he is eligible. This is my understanding

Were you saying the same thing or did I misunderstand you???

family category

Why should we assume that "family category" is synonymous with being the spouse of a US citizen?