Alas--Green card received with spelling mistake in name

Hugh

Registered Users (C)
My wife received the green card with spelling mistake in her first name.

As I learnt from some posters in this forum, she need to file I-90 and get a replacement, which could take months, if not years.:mad:

My question is--can she use the card with the error while the case is pending? I understand that she can travel with the stamp in the passport. I just wonder if the card is actually functional despite the error.

Any thouhgts?

Hugh said:
My question is--can she use the card with the error while the case is pending?

Don't you have to surrender the original card if you are applying for a replacement because of a mistake on the card?

Traveled with old card

I submitted I-90 for replacing card because CIS printed date of birth incorrectly. I kept the old card and travelled twice outsie US. First time they found my DOB wrong and I showed them original I-90 recipt. They didn't ask any other question. I am using this incorrect card for all employment related purpose.

I-90

fikabir said:
I submitted I-90 for replacing card because CIS printed date of birth incorrectly. I kept the old card and travelled twice outsie US. First time they found my DOB wrong and I showed them original I-90 recipt. They didn't ask any other question. I am using this incorrect card for all employment related purpose.

Where did you file your I-90? What's the timeline?

I submitted online on February 2, 2004. I got RFE for submitting original card last week from Vermont Service Center. I submitted original card and they updated website today.

Hi fikabir,

I have the same issue. Wrong date of birth(to be precise INS entered the year incorrectly). Information on everything else were OK till now, I mean EAD etc. I am wondering whether to file I-90 online or to go to the local office. Which one do you suggest?

I have moved after getting the plastic card. The new local office is under the same service center(Vermont). Will it be better if I go to the old local office and file I-90(I can use my old address as the permanent address since my relattion is living there, eventhough I would prefer not to)? I have not actully stamped my passprt. So If I have to surrender the card, I will not have anything to prove that I am a permanent resident. Please advise.

P.S: My I485 was approved at the local offce after it got transferred for conducting the interview.

Thanks, Chichu

Some might call me Ignorant which I am.., after having the STAMPING on your PASSPORT, what really is the use of physical greencard? What is the BIG DEAL here?

Especially for travelling what is the use? I know when you wanna change employer perhaps you
might need physical greencard just like your EAD...

girishreknar said:

Some might call me Ignorant which I am.., after having the STAMPING on your PASSPORT, what really is the use of physical greencard? What is the BIG DEAL here?

Especially for travelling what is the use? I know when you wanna change employer perhaps you
might need physical greencard just like your EAD...
My passport got stamping which is a temporal evidence of permanent residence in August,I will be travelling overseas in December but I have spent almost $90.00 to acquire a UK visit-Intransit visa yet with permanent card I would not be spending a dime.It is also very easy to forge a stamp than it is to forge the pyhsical GC.

Sessanga Charlesa said:
My passport got stamping which is a temporal evidence of permanent residence in August,I will be travelling overseas in December but I have spent almost $90.00 to acquire a UK visit-Intransit visa yet with permanent card I would not be spending a dime.It is also very easy to forge a stamp than it is to forge the pyhsical GC.

Interesting ! If you have PHYSICAL CARD you don't have to pay that $90 fee??? hmm..

Guys

If the card is lost in postal mail then whats the procedure to apply for a duplicate card and how long that takes?

I am asking this because I was expecting my card in 1 or 2 days and when I checked my postal mailbox..saw someone else's mails..looks like the postman messed up. I am not sure whether my mails are delivered in someone else's box or...dont know :(

RSeth,
Sorry to hear that. If you live in an apt complex where everybody's mailboxes are in one place, put up a sign immediately or contact the person whose mail got delivered to you. Don't have an exact idea about replacement timeline but I have heard it takes a long time.
Didn't you just land on 6th Nov in LAX? How come you are expecting the card so soon, anyway?

Gccom

Thanks!! You are right that I entered through the LAX on 6th but I also recived my welcome letter on 22. Considering all the other LAX cases, I assumed that card will in the mail after 1-4 days of welcome letter.

Hey mail thing also worked out(no card). I called post office and they sent a postman to fix this problem. We live in a house but do have a apt like common mail box..

gccom said:
RSeth,
Sorry to hear that. If you live in an apt complex where everybody's mailboxes are in one place, put up a sign immediately or contact the person whose mail got delivered to you. Don't have an exact idea about replacement timeline but I have heard it takes a long time.
Didn't you just land on 6th Nov in LAX? How come you are expecting the card so soon, anyway?

Gccom

Update on my I-90 case

Here is my update:

Nov 3rd - Filed I-90 at L.A. field office; fee waived since the error was an administrative one.

Dec 1st - Received "Notice of Action" letter, stating that "case will be processed with in 270 days".

Dec 3rd - Received email update from USCIS, saying that " case has been approved and will order a new card soon".

Dec 7th - Received GC in the mail.

It took me only a little over one month to get it done. Hopefully, my case will ease the paranoia of those who are hesitant to file I-90.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Frustrated or others:

I want to know if I need to take a new set of photos for replacing my card with wrong birthday.

Appreciate your helps.

Thanks for such a positive email. I feel that most of the ppl who have a positive experience dont' bother to return to these forums and those who are still dealing with USCIS use forums like these to vent. This is a definite morale booster!

Mr. Frustrated said:
Here is my update:

Nov 3rd - Filed I-90 at L.A. field office; fee waived since the error was an administrative one.

Dec 1st - Received "Notice of Action" letter, stating that "case will be processed with in 270 days".

Dec 3rd - Received email update from USCIS, saying that " case has been approved and will order a new card soon".

Dec 7th - Received GC in the mail.

It took me only a little over one month to get it done. Hopefully, my case will ease the paranoia of those who are hesitant to file I-90.

Recieved my new GC

OK folks. I just wanted to share my timeline with ya'll who are debating to file an I-90 application due to an administrative error. I filed my application with the Dallas Office to USCIS:

12/16/04 I-90 Application filed
1/12/05 Notice of Action received
1/18/05 Received new GC

Hope this helps any/all that need to file an I-90 due to an admin error.

lev280 said:
OK folks. I just wanted to share my timeline with ya'll who are debating to file an I-90 application due to an administrative error. I filed my application with the Dallas Office to USCIS:

12/16/04 I-90 Application filed
1/12/05 Notice of Action received
1/18/05 Received new GC

Hope this helps any/all that need to file an I-90 due to an admin error.
Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, I believe the time it takes to get the card after filling I-90 is largely dependent upon the service center. For instance, TSC is currently processing cases filed at around 11/20/2004, but VSC is processing 03/18/2004. We all understand the exact dates they published on their website may not be accurate at all but at least they give us some clue as to where they are and how different service centers are compared.