Airline Pilot living in Montreal

flyinag12

Hello all,

I am an airline pilot currently living in Denver. My girlfriend lives in Montreal, and I am looking at permanently moving there (to be with her, for quality of life, for the Quebec culture, etc). On average, I work one 4-day trip per week, and spend most of my days off in Montreal (entering and exiting Canada as a "visitor" each time I go to work, and commuting to Denver before and after each work trip).

I would be able to move to Montreal and continue working in the States for my airline, but would be looking to gain employment in Quebec eventually. I have a few questions for all this:

1. If I received Permanent Resident status, but did not immediately find a job in Canada and continued working in the States, would this be a problem?
2. If I had PR status, but spent half the month (approximately 14-16 days per month) working in the States, would this invalidate the PR status because I am spending too much time out of Canada?
3. A "visitor visa" is limited to 6 months for a US citizen visiting Canada. Does this reset each time I leave for work (the most consecutive days I have stayed in Montreal is 8 days), or is it a cumulative total limitation of 6 months within a 1 year period?
4. Would I need PR status to live in Montreal if I work and spend half of my time in the States?

My situation is not a typical one, and it makes for interesting questions. For any help or advice anyone can give, I appreciate it very much!

Justin