airindia flights from newark to mumbai

ashsrikar

Registered Users (C)
hi

i read a thread about the new airindia flight from newark via paris to mumbai.

Im planning to go to chennai,india in february.i talked to some agents now and they say lufthansa flights are already full around that time(Boston to chennai).so,im looking for an alternative.I felt airindia is a cheaper alternative but im worried about some of the probs the members have expressed in the thread.....about missing the connecting flights,delays and dirty toilets.Im travelling alone with my 10 mth old baby.pls give ur opinion with regard to this.

thanking u in advance
ashsrikar

They are the best

So far I have travelled in many airlines. But I find Air India is the best..

No offense. but many people feel that something is bad just because it is indian !!!..

I would say Air india is best. Nice food, indian movie, indian hostesses. All desi pessangers. What else do you want?

About flight delays.. well, it is not in their hands.

No offense meant, but even Lufthansa had dirty restrooms by the time the flight landed in India. It is not the airlines but the people who travel that make it dirty. So if you got a plane full of desis, expect dirty lavatories ;) (Ok, before you guys put on your bash-this-guy-up costumes, I am not being holier-than-thou here. I probably contributed my little bit to the mess too ;) )
Since you have a 10 month baby with you, I would strongly recommend taking the shortest route to Chennai. Lufthansa and British Airways are the only ones to offer services to Chennai with a single stopover. Lufthansa has only a 3 hour lay over (if you time your US flights properly) and I don't know about BA. And, if you have accrued some miles in Luft, you can even upgrade to a business class. Better facilities and not so dirty lavs ;)
The one big disadvantage in flying Air India is that the flights are so far from their hubs that any fault in the airplane will cause it to be grounded until it is fixed. I had this problem when my mom visited me a couple of years ago (against my advice, she flew Air India) and had to postpone her return by a day because the flight was rescheduled 24 hrs later!!! I was pretty pissed with AI's customer service during the saga. Those people were not even courteous to customers. The European carriers are a different story since they seem to have spare aircrafts lying around to mitigate such problems.

Originally posted by ashsrikar
hi

i read a thread about the new airindia flight from newark via paris to mumbai.

Im planning to go to chennai,india in february.i talked to some agents now and they say lufthansa flights are already full around that time(Boston to chennai).so,im looking for an alternative.I felt airindia is a cheaper alternative but im worried about some of the probs the members have expressed in the thread.....about missing the connecting flights,delays and dirty toilets.Im travelling alone with my 10 mth old baby.pls give ur opinion with regard to this.

thanking u in advance
ashsrikar

Air India is actually one of the more expensive fares. I had the worst experience on it- delayed flights, inefficient baggage check, treated like dirt by the flight attendent (she probably made it through SC/ST quota). I have sworn never to fly Air India again.

Anita_Gupta

Wao. I never fly with Air India so i am not aware what you talking about. But most of my friends told me flight is ok. food is good and flight attendents are ok..
you talking about the worst flight, I had an experince with Air france I reached Bombay in 46 HRS with one of my bag missing. I never got that bag and and they just gave me 300$ worth of refund and my bag must be having atleast 2000$ worth of things in it..
from paris they cancelled the flight becuase only 20 pasanger were there that day to fly. they didn't even gave us Hotel accomodations I spend 110$ on Hotel from my own pocket.

As per the flight attendents in Air India, I am not sure what you talking about. looks like you make them mad. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may agree with AG on AirIndia but will have to agree with Green_Love on AirFrance! I have never flown AF but have already vowed never to fly that airlines even if the tickets were free!

They have the worst .. WORST .. customer service ever!!! But, I heard through my father and wife who flew AF, at different times, that the cabin crew were extremely friendly & warm and with the service they make up for the lousy cust. service that you receive at the originating and terminating ends of the flight.

The people at the ticket counter are the MOST ARROGANT!!! This isn't just based on one experience but two consecutive encounters. Mostly, it is the foreign nationals who have become french citizens (oriental, african etc) who are the most arrogant bit.. and bas... with enormous attitude.

And, I had the same thought as AG about the selection of flight attendants in AI or IA! A flight attendant is supposed to be able to interact with the passengers and not just mutely hand out things, answering 'yes' or 'no' to the questions. But, that is what I saw in my only overseas AI flight and the few domestic IA flights, so far!

My experience...

I flew in NorthWest/KLM once and AirIndia once...
I had flight delays with KLM but not with AirIndia...

:) It just goes to prove that there isn't anything as the "WORST" airlines or the "BEST" airlines!

I would consider NW/KLM as the airlines belonging to GOD!!! :) That is how wonderful the service was and on-time the flight was. And, I had the WORST experience with AI. But, looking at Edison_NJ's message, it is just the reverse!

BA charges tons of money - I just take it coz they have direct flights to Kolkata

The flight attendents are nice but the food is just not edible by our desi pallete.

Personally - I have the best experience with the gulf airlines - specially as far as food and service is concerned - too bad some of them do not serve liquor. Singapore is also good but not for us east coast guys.

NW

Flew NW twice in the last two months(family emergency). Has vowed not to do it again, ever. Stupid american hostesses are so arrogant that you feel like jumping off the plane. Food sucks big time. They are always out of NV food.

Flown SingaporeAir, Emirates and KLM before and there are no complaints.

Hello,

I too agree with Anita Gupta. I went to India couple of years ago, taking the AI ( All Irritating) flight.

First and foremost.. the flight was delayed to start from NY itself.. to top there were so many people waiting in the queue to check in. They only had three ground crew for check-in. This was causing a tremendous wait time for the passengers. It was total chaos (not to mention of so many babies and kids who were crying or hollering top of their voices).

Secondly, the inflight crew were so soo hostile.... they were behaving with the economy class people as if we are stowaways... having a free ride. The crew should realize that their paychek depends upon us when we travel.

Then, once the flight took off... the food that was served (excepting the main courses - courtesy Taj Hotels) was either too oily or stale. The air hostesses were calling each other out across the ailes.... similar to the hawkers who sell stuff in Mumbai trains.

To top that.. the stopover at London airport which was for 2 hrs... stretched out to 5+ hours. It seems that there was some polititian who was boarding from London.. and couldn't make it on time. So, the govt carrier (A.I) was waiting for his majesty to arrive.... five + hours.!!!

When asked, they first said there was some tech snag in the plane and they might change the airplane itself. But later they announced that some person has left the immigration area and is missing. Whom do they think they were fooling... one cannot leave that restricted area after you have done your immigration chek.

But ..... all in all we reached India finally.

Cheers.!!

For the guys from west cost, Singapore airlines , Malaysian air and Cathy Pacific are the best. I made two trips recently by Malaysian air and I have no complaints. I will definitly go by the same airline next time.

Best thing about Malaysian air is you can directly fly to Hyderabad or Bangalore. Singapore also has the same facility I guess.

Fly Singapore Airlines on First or Raffles class. You can enjoy priority boarding, fresh lavatories, in-flight personal amenities, good meal, good service, movies, Silver Kris Lounges in the US and Singapore, etc.. etc. etc.
The SkySuites are awesome!

I agree with prajaram...

:) "It just goes to prove that there isn't anything as the "WORST" airlines or the "BEST" airlines! "