after I become US citizen, will the US notify my home country of this?

TwoScoops

the reason I'm asking is that my home country's laws automatically revokes the citizenship of any person who acquires foreign citizenship. however, how will they know? I certainly will not volunteer this info to them... does the U.S. govt(Dept of State, Homland Security, and or USCIS) notify them of this type of info?

Thanks!

Is that Philippines?

Is that Philippines? If so you can get it back right away with a declaration.
Anyway better to do the right thing always rather than play russian roullette:)

Is that Philippines? If so you can get it back right away with a declaration.
Anyway better to do the right thing always rather than play russian roullette:)

No, it's some other country... :)

Their current law is very strict. They do not recognize dual-citizenship and there's not wiggle room on the issue. If I want to gain my citizenship back, I have to formally renounce my citizenship at a US embassy.

The onus is on you to notify your home country, and you should. After you pass the interview and have an Oath of Allegiance to US, US si fine and does not care. Similarily, some countries are fine with dual citizenship while others have laws barring the dual citizenship. Unless you are not planning to travel at all, you have more to loose if your home country finds out about your dual citizesnship (and you have not informed them).

Let's consider for a moment: You land in your home country using that country's passport and get an immigration stamp. You travel back to US and get a US immigration stamp on US passport (where else?). What happens if you take the next trip to your home country? If you use home country's passport after landing, it will be missing a US immigration stamp and the I/O will surely get suspicious as to where are you coming from and at what status (remember no Green Card) and ask you about the discrepancy... Would you announce that you have a US Passport at time? Your passport will have an issue date (and Home Country has last trip's date).... well that is a Catch22 situation. Would you want to be in it.....:confused:

Tough country, man ;) I don't think the U.S. will notify them. There is a good chance that if you keep quiet you might still keep it (I don't want to seem like I am encouraging to do anything wrong). I would think that the difficult points usually are if you visit your old country consulate to renew a passport and they insist in finding out in what status you are in this country. Other situation is if you travel to your country, and they insist at the airport that you show them proof that you can get in the U.S. The airline might share this with the government. All in all chances are you can do this for years, but it seems all countries are building greater databases, and sharing information, and identity verifications. On the other hand you should start mobilizing your country men, and push your government to accept multiple citizenship.

PS: One possible way to avoid issues with stamps on passport could be if you don't land directly into your old country, but you land first on another country for which you don't need a visa (I am thinking about the Schengen countries for example) and from there fly to your old country. Anyway, this is something you have to think carefully what is the best way to proceed. I have known people in this country and other places who have kept their former citizenship, but had to be careful about these corner cases. It would be better if your country would come to its senses and modify their outdated laws.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

the reason I'm asking is that my home country's laws automatically revokes the citizenship of any person who acquires foreign citizenship. however, how will they know? I certainly will not volunteer this info to them... does the U.S. govt(Dept of State, Homland Security, and or USCIS) notify them of this type of info?

Thanks!
Sooner or later, you'll get into a trouble. How are you going to renew your passport when it expires? Normally, the embassies from many countries check your status in US before they let you renew your passport.

Depending on how strict your country's law is, the penalty might be severe if they find out.

Is it really worth going that far to retain your old citizenship?

Until recently Australian laws did not allow dual citizenship. The Australian embassy would ask for a copy of the green card prior to renewing the Passport. I am sure your country too would be having something similar. My view there is much to life than trying to sneak your way. I would rather do the right thing and sleep well at night. My 2 c worth.
Sooner or later, you'll get into a trouble. How are you going to renew your passport when it expires? Normally, the embassies from many countries check your status in US before they let you renew your passport.

Depending on how strict your country's law is, the penalty might be severe if they find out.

thanks for all the replies... :)

perhaps I should have explained why I to keep my home country's passport/citizenship.

in my home country, health care is completely free for all citizens. for non-emgency cases, the service must be performed in the home country... however, in emergency cases, the government health ministry will pick up the tab for services performed in a foreign country.

for example, my sister-in-law had a baby in the US two years ago. She has been a US citizen for nearly 11 years but retains her home country passport. Her hospital bills came to nearly USD$7800. after she submitted all the paperwork, she was reimbursed USD$6500 by the health ministry. She doesn't buy health insurance from her employer in the US... that saves her a bundle of money every year. (pretty much everybody from my home country who live in the US do the same thing)

guess why I want to maintain my old citizenship? as much as I love America, health care is where the US is lacking, compared to other industrialized nations.... (sad but true)

or is this wrong? :(

...or is this wrong? :(

Must say "Two Scoops" is an appropriate name for someone wanting to double dip the ice cream tub! :p

Is it wrong to expect a country you no longer reside in (or make tax payments to) to pick up the tab when you have an unusually large medical bill? Guess it depends on your morals, but I sure hope their economy is strong, because your large medical bill might be taking funds away from someone who really can't afford it.

thanks for all the replies... :)

perhaps I should have explained why I to keep my home country's passport/citizenship.

in my home country, health care is completely free for all citizens. for non-emgency cases, the service must be performed in the home country... however, in emergency cases, the government health ministry will pick up the tab for services performed in a foreign country.

for example, my sister-in-law had a baby in the US two years ago. She has been a US citizen for nearly 11 years but retains her home country passport. Her hospital bills came to nearly USD$7800. after she submitted all the paperwork, she was reimbursed USD$6500 by the health ministry. She doesn't buy health insurance from her employer in the US... that saves her a bundle of money every year. (pretty much everybody from my home country who live in the US do the same thing)

guess why I want to maintain my old citizenship? as much as I love America, health care is where the US is lacking, compared to other industrialized nations.... (sad but true)

or is this wrong? :(

Is this guy for real? This is the same guy who said:
"Honesty is extremely important for me. I'm not comfortable with signing a document(or taking an oath) when it contains two words that I honestly don't believe in."
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1529649#post1529649

As for his sister-in-law, apparently, honesty is a trait that runs in the family :rolleyes:

Hello equate,
Excellent link on Two Scoops.
He has multiple personalities and does what he or she thinks is right and not based on honesty and morale ethics.

Two scoops,
Pay one scoop of money to get the second scoop of service. Don't try to defraud. You may need to pay the interest plus payments when you get caught.
This is a perfect example of defrauding a goverment agency. You can even potentially lose your US citizenship if you try to defraud other government agencies (eventhough it is other countries).
You are DENYING the opportunity for a person who cannot afford. My humble request please don't do that.
I am not saying I am the most generous person. You don't need to donate money but atleast not take someone else money.

Thanks!
Are you talking about Singapore or Malaysia? That country is strictly strict.