After Card how long we need to work with the same employer

QuickGC2005

Registered Users (C)
After getting the GC Card how long we should legally work with the same employer ? Is there any issues if we leave the company once we receive the Card.

Thanks in advance

QuickGC2005

Is it possible for the employer to file any legal action if we leave the company after getting the green card immediatly. Is there any period we need to work with him before we leave.

Currently my green card is approved and also received the plastic card itself. Some of my friends say i need to stay with the employer for 6 months after the 485 approval. Just want to find out how long i need to stay with him after the card.

Congrats that you got your green card, but why dont you post the details also so that we all can share some information. Please post your processing details also.
I dont know of any law if there is one, but I think it is safe to stay with the sponsoring employer for at least 6 months or so.
Thanks!
QuickGC2005 said:
Is it possible for the employer to file any legal action if we leave the company after getting the green card immediatly. Is there any period we need to work with him before we leave.

Currently my green card is approved and also received the plastic card itself. Some of my friends say i need to stay with the employer for 6 months after the 485 approval. Just want to find out how long i need to stay with him after the card.

The details of my GC history is

EB3 , VSC
Labour Sub
PD 2001

I140/485 CONC Filling 1st week of July 2004

FP done: 04/05/2005
485 AD: 04/15/05
CO : 04/19/05
CR : 04/21/05

Legally you are supposed to work for the employer "permanently". Now permanent is a subjective word. Technically it should be forever, but everyone knows that is not possible. The general consensus is atleast 6 months. The whole argument is that if you leave immediately, it may constitute to a fraud as you had argued in your petition for the GC that you will be working for this employer "permanently" (hence the name for GC is "Permanent Resident"). However, bcos of AC21 rulings, I am not sure how much this will hold good.

Again, I am not an attorney, so take my advice as such.

changing jobs (not employer) after gc

Here is my questions for you gurus: what are the possible ramifications if one changes jobs to a different field, i.e., unrelated to the original field for which GC was sponsored, BUT WITHIN THE SAME COMPANY let's say 3 months after obtaining GC?