After 6 Year H1B and Travelling

desichet

Registered Users (C)
I found this on http://www.immigration-law.com :

Updated 04/24/01: False Hope of Travelling in H-1B "Visa" Beyond 6-Year Limit

AC 21 allows for the extension of H-1B stay beyond the 6-year limit in one-year increments in certain circumstances (so-called 365+ rule). The details on interpretation of this legislation has to be released by the INS in the form of a regulation. However, the U.S. Department of State made it clear that the law would apply only to the extension of "status" and not to the extension of "petition." In other words, it interpretes that AC 21 only allows the H-1B aliens to "stay" in the H-1B status in the United States beyond 6-year limit, but does not allow the agencies to extend the H-1B petition. Consequently, American consulates will not issue a renewed H-1B visa beyond the 6-year limit!
This policy and interpretation of the DOS are critically important for those who plan to travel abroad. For those who have filed I-485 and reached the H-1B 6-year limit, it is critically important to remember that they should obtain Advance Parole and travel on AP as the American Consulates will not isssue extended H-1B visa beyond the 6-year limit, no matter how the INS implements this part of AC 21 (there is a question of whether or not an extension petition is required.). For those who are still at I-140 stage and whose 6-year limit has reached, since they cannot apply for Advanced Parole nor can they obtain a renewed H-1B visa at the American Consulates beyond the 6-year limit, their travel outside the U.S. in all practical purposes are shut out, at least until they reach the stage of filing EB-485 when they will be able to obtain AP.
In this regard, the importance of this part of AC 21 legislation is very much limited for EB-485 filers, since they can work and stay in the U.S. without H-1B visa status but with Advance Parole and EAD. This legal provision is still important for those I-140 filers who would not otherwise be able to remain and work in the U.S. while they wait for the priority dates and filing of I-485.

No Title

Today I had following communication with my HR dept. Looks like everything going to be fine for 7th yr extension.

My 6 yr limit on H1 is expiring on July 31, 2001. ie. my visa stamp is also expiring same time.
We already had applied for 7th yr extension.
I have following questions regarding this 7th yr extension.

1. Am I going to receive new H1 petition for this extension ?
Yes, you will receive the H-1 petition for this extension.
2. Can I get my visa stamp revalidate for this new extension ? (either in USA or abroad)
Yes, you can revalidate by mail, abroad or Canada.
3. If I don\'t get new visa stamp, what option is available to travel abroad and still re-enter United States ?
You should not have a problem getting the stamp.
4. How is it applicable to dependents ?
Your spouse will get the extra year on her H-4 as well.

No Title

I received my seventh year H1-B extension for self and H4 extension for family in Apr 2001. Sent the passports to DOS St. Louis MO for stamping, received visa stamps valid until Apr 2002.

What could be the basis for the publication... Is it still unsafe to travel abroad?