Affidavit of Support I-864 and IRS penalty for not having health insurance

Sleepy123

Hello Everyone,

I have a parent on a green card here. I sponsored him to come to the US on a IR-5 visa, so I signed the affidavit of support I-864.

Now with the health insurance exchange, it's my understanding that if a person is low income, they don't have to pay a penalty for not having health insurance, so they can be exempt.

However, I am afraid I, myself, might have some penalty from IRS, because I am a sponsor in this case. Could that be true?

Health insurance through obamacare is very expensive and the state I live in requires a person to list all sponsors including those who signed I-864. My parent won't be qualified for a low-income plan anyway, most likely, because of my income I have to disclose..

The health insurance being offered so far is either way too expensive or cheaper with very high deductible.

Would I get in any trouble with IRS, if there isn't insurance coverage for the uninsured immigrant parent who I sponsored to come to the US? Would it matter if I claimed him on my taxes or if he filed taxes on his own and showed very little income?

Thanks,

Sleepy123