Affidavit for bona fides of marriage

Gottlob

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My I-485 interview is in a couple of months, based on marriage to a USC. A number of people in these forums (which have been amazingly helpful all the way through) suggest that I can help prove the bona fides of our marriage by taking affidavits from family and friends. But what exactly is an affidavit? Is it just a letter signed by the person? Does it need some legal jargon in it? Does the signature need to be notarized?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

google

Ever used google? If not, then try for this exercise... :(

If I were you, I will google an affidavit or wikipedia it. In that way, you get to know what you are searching or looking for. This forum can be of help to many people, but certain things require people to dig in and do their own homework. :rolleyes:

If you don't know what an affidavit it, then you ought to learn and find out. Ignorance is better killed by enlightment.... :D

Yeah, Google is great and all, but I wanted to know what I need to take along to the interview. Does the interviewer want the kind of affidavit you can learn about on Google, or is a signed letter OK? Unsurprisingly, Googling `I-485 affidavit' didn't help much.

But I take it from your response that I do need to produce the ordinary kind of affidavit, and that no exceptions or unusual terminological practices are going on here.

Thanks.

Gottlob- you may want to type " what is an affidavit?" :)

you may find this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affidavit

also, on your interview notice USCIS lists documents that you may have to take along. Also if you do a little search on this forum, you may find all the docs applicants are taking along or have taken along in the past, as evidence of a bonafide marriage :)

Good Luck with googling and your interview!

Cheers!

Such Affidavits are not usually required for the AOS interview. They are usually only required to lift conditions on a 2 year Green Card. Unless you have reason to believe your marriage looks fake, I wouldn't bother personally.

Gott,

I'd like to, politely, dissagree with dr_lha; Affidavit letters are reasonably easy and cheap to obtain (if your friends/family are cooperative) and may have significant positive influence on the interview.

Affidavit letter will be, basically, a letter from your friend or family member stating that he/she is aware you're married to your spouse, and that, to the best of their knowledge, your marriage is based on mutual feelings of love and strong and valid in its foundations. Such letter should be notarized by notary public - but in most states this is reasonably cheap (several $).

One of things I'd warn you about, if you ask friends to write these affidavits is not to succumb to their requests that 'you writer it and i'll sign it' - different people will write different letters, paying attention to different details (your best friend will remember your spouse's dancing prowess at your wedding night, while his mom will be far more interested in the way you merrily chatted with your new family members).

One possible danger of an affidavit is if it's written in a terse, detail-free form - it might make reader / interviewer suspect that writer couldn't find lots of good to say about you, or isn't actually comfortable saying all that needs to be said, etc.

needs advice

Please advice

I married illegal alien who filed forms under 245(i). INS received forms today.
Which date is counting as In Process (received date or notice date).
Can he be deported until sutch date?

Thanks Andr0s. We have a joint bank account, joint credit card, joint car insurance, but I'm a bit worried that we don't have a joint lease (our landlord seems to prefer it that way, and it seems to keep our rent down, so we don't complain!) So I think I might get a couple of affidavits to be on the safe side, perhaps one from our building manager.