Advice on Spouse I-485 transfer to a different lawyer

iamhero

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I need some advise on my situation.
I first applied for I-485, and got married.
I have got my GC approved 9 months ago and got my plastic card too. Recently I got an offer with different firm and changed my employer.
My wife's I-485 RD & ND is 02/2002. Still waiting for approval. As per my understanding, My previous attorney still gets all the communication directly from INS. Specially if RFE is issued on my wife's case , only attorney gets the info about it. I will not know anything about it.

So, I really need to change the attorney for my wife's case. My new company will not handle any of my immigration related issues. So , I will probably have to find some independent attorney.

My questions is
Can I change the attorney for my wife's I-485 case ? What exactly is the procedure ?

I need your advice on how to do it ? And, what are the complications ?

Can my previous employer cause any damage to my wife's I-485 process ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask new lawyer to file form GR28

Ask new lawyer to file form GR28 (something similar sounding) - its the blue for you might have filled up when applying for your wifes 485.

I am in the same boat - got married after filing 485. Neither mine or my wifes 485 has been approved. Am curious as how your 485 got approved much before your wifes. Can I request for your PD, ND, AD, fingerprint date and other details. Also, did your case get transferred to a local ins? Any RFE's issued?

My details:

ND 10/10/2001
FP: 5/25/2002
RFE for employment letter 4/30/2003 replied 6/4/03

No response yet from INS

My wifes details:

ND 8/2002
FP 10/2002
No RFE.

Thanks much :cool:

Its G-28

Here is the link:

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-28.htm

You might want to send a copy to your old lawyer as well.

Also, there should not be any complications except that BCIS might not update this information for sometime and if an
RFE is issued it will go to your old lawyer.

BTW, the best thing would be to retain the same attorney. They should not have a problem though you might to shell out some cash from your pocket.

Old employer has no contol over anything at all if its been 180 days since your 485 application - and now that you have the gc there is nothing the old emplyer can do.

If your new job is totally diff from your old job, in theory there can be some issues but you would be on very safe grounds if your current job is in the same occupational category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thank you very much for the information.
My details as follows:

RD: 08/06/2001
ND: 09/18/2001
FP: January 2002
AD: 10/03/2002
Plastic card : June 2003.

My wife's case details:

RD: 02/19/2002
ND: 02/20/2002
FP: June 2002

I cannot retain my previous company's lawer, as she is not independent attorney and works only for the company. And company will no way support my application. I will be more than happy if they don't try to mess up my case. its one of those typical indian comapnies.

I live in detroit area. I will have to find some attoneys on my own .
Please let me know if you know any one in detroit area.

Thanks so much for the info and help!!!

Try Gowda

You can check them out at Gowda.com

The lawyers are ok types but they have a paralegal who is pretty efficient. I usually get in touch with her for most of the stuff. Its 500 bucks for RFE.

New Lawyer

You can contact

Mr John Boudia

John Boudia & Associates, P.L.C
25600 Woodward Avenue, Ste 214
Royal Oak, MI 48067-0945

Phone No: 248-336-0402
Fax: 248-336-0433

He is efficient and good. Reasonable too.

He is my lawyer too

All the best

k512