Advice needed urgently

usha03

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My 140/485 have a notice date of Feb 23rd 2005. My 140 has been approved in April 2005. The company that sponsored (for which I also work currently) has been acquired by another company. 180 days is not yet past since I have petitioned for 485.

So what could be the implications of this merger on my GC processing?

If I get laid off before 180 days is past, what will happen? What is the best course of action to take?

If I get laid off after 180 days is past, can I safely changes jobs provided the job is similar?

If I choose to change the company for a similar job after 180 days, it is OK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Correction to situation

The acquisition did not happen yet but is pending. It might be a few months before it is finalised.

usha03 said:
The acquisition did not happen yet but is pending. It might be a few months before it is finalised.

usha03,

Sorry for jumping into this forum even when I'm not yet past the LC stage but I think you should be ok..
since your 140 is already approved and 485 is pending for about 100 days now, you will be safe to change employers after 81 days from now.
There are many factors here :
1) When will the merger actually happen ? (if it takes 80 days, you are fine)
2)Merger happens within 80 days and you are not laid off- you are fine
3)Merger happens within 80 days and you are on the list - you might plead with the managers and bosses and tell them your situation so that they agree to keep you until your 180 days are over. You may even offer to go on unpaid vacation for some time and come back for a couple of days before being laid off...
Since the merger is still not final yet, I personally think you will be ok, but yes, the situation is enough to pump up your adrenalin levels

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gogia for the information. I am so close to falling in the "safety zone". I feel tensed at the thought of the 3 year 7 months wait going down the drain. I will be done with my 6 years of H1 also in 2006 April.

Usha03.. You should be fine. I think it will also help to get your 485 approved if you contact your local congressman and tell that your PD is 2001. You must have been approved by now. Sometimes going through congressman will wake the USCIS officer from his slumber. My sis-in-law had a similar problem where her PD was one year earlier than the current dates yet their 485 was not approved. and I suggested she try contacting her local congressman.. she got her 485 approval within 2 weeks of contacting! Good luck.