Adv Parole Travel - What are the pros and con in this situation?

q2w3e4

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have filed the i-130/i-485 joint application for my dad early in the year. Unfortunately approvals for both applications are still pending, the process is taking longer than expected. The case was transferred to CSC in Feb. The Adv Parole was received in March. My dad has been delaying his visit to his native place hoping the approvals would come through any day. However, he cannot delay further and plans to travel in the next 2 weeks for couple of months. Usually cases transferred to CSC do not require an interview.

Are there any risks with him undertaking the travel? What if A) his approvals come through while he is out of US or B) an interview request is made (i think another date can be requested in this case). Any other risks I should be prepared for?

Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Adv Parole was received in March.

Do you mean USCIS received the Advance Parole application in March, or your father received the approved Advance Parole in March?

Did he overstay before filing the I-485?

What if A) his approvals come through while he is out of US or B) an interview request is made (i think another date can be requested in this case). Any other risks I should be prepared for?
If he did not overstay before filing the I-485, and has an approved Advance Parole, he can use the AP to return with no problem in scenario (A).

For (B), either he must return to the US before the interview date or request a reschedule. Normally the interview notice will arrive at least 3 weeks before the interview date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean USCIS received the Advance Parole application in March, or your father received the approved Advance Parole in March?

>> Father received the Advance Parole in March.

Did he overstay before filing the I-485?
>> No. He was in status when he applied.

If he did not overstay before filing the I-485, and has an approved Advance Parole, he can use the AP to return with no problem in scenario (A).

For (B), either he must return to the US before the interview date or request a reschedule. Normally the interview notice will arrive at least 3 weeks before the interview date.
>> That's good to know he will have 3 weeks to be back for the interview.