adjustment of status from Asylum to PR

ginger_anna

Registered Users (C)
Please, help me clarify this issue - I currently have an asylum and am ready to file for adjustment of my status to Permanent Resident. Not knowing the new memo regarding asylums and EAD’s (asylees automatically have a right to work, no EAD required), I applied to renew it in February and should probably receive it anytime now. My question is – once I file I-485 and my application for PR is in process, do I remain an asylee with its right of no EAD or I need to re-apply for it every year while I-485 pending? And also, do I still need to attach my (hopefully soon) new EAD or at least a receipt from BCIG with the rest of my PR application or not (based on the above asylum-EAD law)?
All your input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Anna

Originally posted by ginger_anna
Please, help me clarify this issue - I currently have an asylum and am ready to file for adjustment of my status to Permanent Resident. Not knowing the new memo regarding asylums and EAD’s (asylees automatically have a right to work, no EAD required), I applied to renew it in February and should probably receive it anytime now. My question is – once I file I-485 and my application for PR is in process, do I remain an asylee with its right of no EAD or I need to re-apply for it every year while I-485 pending? And also, do I still need to attach my (hopefully soon) new EAD or at least a receipt from BCIG with the rest of my PR application or not (based on the above asylum-EAD law)?
Anna

Yes you remain an asylee even after filling I-485 until you become a PR.

You are not required to have EAD,not ever.

right

Your I-485 has no effect on your status as an asylee at all.

You also do not have to attach any EAD copies in your I-485 application.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was called for my I-485 interview ( only a few asylee I-485 applicants get called for interview) in 2001 the letter asked me to bring my EAD. At that time my EAD had expired and application for the new one was still pending. The interviewing officer did ask me for my EAD but I showed her the expired card and told her the renewal application is still pending. She didn't make a big deal out of it and also didn't ask me to show any kind of proof of new EAD application.

Read the info provided by Gilbert and others regarding this issue in the forum. Personally I havn't renewed my EAD since 2001. The only ppl who asked me for EAD was my stupid employer , but I showed them the DSS memo letter and that was the end of that matter.

Anna
You will never need an EAD again in your life unless they decided that you committed forgery in your asylum application. All asylees are not required to have EAD even as they wait for their green cards. The only problem facing you right now is that you may have to wait 10 years to get your green card if you apply now. This can only change if they changed the law that allows only 10,000 asylees to get their green cards every year. The reality is that currently 100, 000 asylees have been waiting for their adjustment.

oh, no!

oh, my god, and I thought that asylees are in the same count as other people, and I know that they're approving people from 1999 right now. Oh, no - 10 years.... :( well, what can I do..... I'll talk to you guys with my news in 10 years then :)

Re: oh, no!

oh, my god, and I thought that asylees are in the same count as other people, and I know that they're approving people from 1999 right now. Oh, no - 10 years.... :( well, what can I do..... I'll talk to you guys with my news in 10 years then :)

For now yes,but i have strong fillings that it`s going to be less than that.There are going to be many changes sooner or later which i believe will result in reducing asylees backlogs.

By the way did you send a letter/s to your representative?

Re: Re: oh, no!

share your optimism 100%.

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
For now yes,but i have strong fillings that it`s going to be less than that.There are going to be many changes sooner or later which i believe will result in reducing asylees backlogs.

By the way did you send a letter/s to your representative?

letter to my state rep?

No, I haven't written to him, but what do I tell him even if I do, does it even make any difference? I don't think anybody can do anything just yet, untill they change the law about 10,000 cap. Have you written to your representative and did it do any good? Thank you for your advice,
Anna

Re: letter to my state rep?

No, I haven't written to him, but what do I tell him even if I do, does it even make any difference? I don't think anybody can do anything just yet, untill they change the law about 10,000 cap. Have you written to your representative and did it do any good? Thank you for your advice,
Anna

Thats why you need to join the chariot.Just click on lazerthegreat`s post dated 04-25-03 titled.

THE TEXT OF LETTERS TO BE SENT TO CONGRESS MEMBERS.

Once you go the congress website you will enter your zip code and will be able to get the name and address of your representative.

We have been urging people like you to write letters to members of congress in the past 3 weeks or so.Thats the only way we can expect changes if they are to occur.

my letter's are out

Thanks, Sessanga for the info.
I've already sent 4 letters out today - 1 to my congressman and 3 to the committee members you posted. I really, really hope something will change soon, otherwise I'd be waiting till 2012, maybe even longer :(

Re: my letter's are out

Thanks, Sessanga for the info.
I've already sent 4 letters out today - 1 to my congressman and 3 to the committee members you posted. I really, really hope something will change soon, otherwise I'd be waiting till 2012, maybe even longer :(

I`m proud of you anna. I still urge those who have not written letters to their representative to do as anna did,she did not hesitate and acted right away.

Last edited by a moderator: