Adjustment of status and divorce

Nikki S

Hi,
I have applied for my green card through my husband and I am currently in the adjustment of status stage.
I am working on my EAD though my company applied for an H-1 which came after the EAD.This H1
has not been stamped on my passport.
If I get a divorce from my husband,
1) Will my H1 be valid?Can I use it to work?Can I get it transferred if I change jobs?
Can I use it to travel considering that it\'s never been stamped?
2) Is my EAD valid?
3) Will my current adjustment of status application be nullified.Will I have to start from scratch
if I want the green card?

Thanks in advance

No Title

This person is so uncouth, she wants a green card through her husband and yet is thinking about her divorce, what a lady, she has no self respect and is a mark on the India women, if ur so damn worried about ur green card, then dont divorce him, looks like ur very cunning, and also have other means and ways to leave him, I bet ur husband is actually a nice person

No Title

Hey did u know that, even if u got a H-1 and entered the country on ur husbands H-1, u are still dependent on him for visa status, gosh I wish i met ur husband I could give him some sound advice, as to what to do to people like u,who want a green card through their husband and yet want to leave him

No Title

Hi anoo,

Your outrage is well taken, but sometimes if they are so incompatible, that they can\'t stand each other, then it is in the best interest of the dependent (man or woman), that they make the best out of whatever is left, atleast get a GC out of a broken marriage.

On the other hand if the girl or guy has got married just to get a GC, then it is unforgiveable.

We will never know what the truth (original intention) is until you get into the minds (which you can never) of the so called "cheaters"

No Title

Why would you take such an outrage from anyone? Vedan007, such explainations on your part encourages uncouth people like Anoo. This person is definitely suffering from mental problems, targeting Indian women for no reason.

No Title

Anoo
I think you should take into account the person\'s position before saying anything about some one.What do you know about the condition that person is in?So please in future think twice before you write anything about someone.
You never know what the future holds for any one!

No Title

Hi, Nikki S,

If you get divorced before the final approval of your I-485, then I\'m afraid you won\'t pass the interview \'cause the immigration officer will know you are no longer a beneficiary of you husband\'s GC application. Seek help from your company\'s immigration lawyer, he will tell you about your H1-B\'s validity.

No Title

Anoo is way out of line here, as Nikki has not even mention what citizenship or nationality is holds. Anoo find another message board to express your feeling....

Nikki, from your e-mail I see that you are simply trying to find your state of affairs and plan ahead for your legality here. My best suggestion is to find a lawyer and get the details from there. The other place is INS\'s National Customer Service Center 1-800-375-5283. You can be anonymous outside of giving the state that you are currently resident in. State your case in detail and be clear of every detail possible. Although this is a voice only service, I have managed to have them fax me details pertaining to the law, so that I can understand it lot clearly.

No Title

Bela

Vedan007 is just politely trying to disagree which is a good etiquette
,otherwise there will not be much difference between us and Anoo right ??

tough situation, few options

if you have filed for divorce, you are not eligible for GC based upon your marital relationship. In fact, your intention to divorce him invalidates your GC application. You will have to express the validity of your marriage when you go to interview with your husband. This appears to conflict with your posting here. Making false testimony to Immigration Officers to obtain immigration benefits (read: a GC) is a deportable offense.

Once the GC is denied, the EAD will expire. Once the EAD expires, you lose employment authorization. at that point, you will need to wait for the H1 approval to begin working, probably after returning home.

You have already started over with the H1 application. Since you have already begun the process for a nonimmigrant employment-based visa, INS will know that your marriage is not valid, and might never have been valid. The evidence will be in their databases.