Address change

fourmeights

Registered Users (C)
If we move during the 485 process how do we inform INS of the address change? Just talk to an IIO and let him know the new address OR let our attorney know the new address. Upon talking to an IIO does the address change take effect right away?

If AFTER the move, it so happens that there are mails (fingerprint notice, RFE...) from the SC to the old address will the postal service\'s regular routine of forwarding all our mail take care of forwarding THESE MAILS FROM INS as well? Has anybody experienced considerable delays in not getting notifications through mail because of an address change? Also my new address will be less than 10 miles from my current address. If in case we happen to move a few weeks/ a month prior to getting the FP notices will the address change impact us on our not getting the same on time. Please share your experiences

No Title

Dear Sanjive,

I moved from NJ to GA after filing for 485. My lawyer wrote a letter to INS (VSC) stating that So and So with this receipt number and this A# has moved and provided my new address. I called VSC (802-527-4913) after two months just to make sure it is really changed and it was fine. They had my new address on the computer. But my FP notice did not arrive. But lawyer got the FP notice which was asking me to go to NJ for finger printing. I called VSC (at the above number) IIO said I can go to the nearest FP location (Application Service Center or ASC) and explain. I did the same and they accepted my finger prints without a single question.

VSC says they have my new address. Because, FP notice is sent by a different system (which is not updated for address changes), I did not receive the FP notice. They say that is the reason they send a copy to the lawyer. Anyway, FP went fine.

So, all you need to do is write a plain letter with basic info like receipt # and any other identification info (including your name) and writer to INS. My lawyer wrote a separate letter for each applicant.

KiranHegde