Address Change issue while traveling to India.

mathapachchi

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I work for a consulting firm. Lets say my local office is in City A. My current project is in city B, which is in another state. As it is a long-term project, I moved to city B and intend to stay here for a long time. I still maintain City A’s address in my company and INS and all other legal places.

My wife got a job in City B. She transferred her H4 to H1-B. Her address everywhere is City B’s address except in INS. When I applied for I-140 and I-485, at that time, she was on H4.

I am planning an India trip in near future. My wife and I have EAD and AP. Both of us have City A’s address on EAD and AP. I am thinking to change my address in INS and fill out change of address AR-11 form. That way, my new address will be city B’s address. I have read/heard lot of horror stories about address changes. I also heard stories about immigration interviews at port of entry while coming back from India. I like your opinion/suggestion in the following scenarios.

·Scenario 1: Send change of address form to INS
>What if INS misplaces the form and don’t change the address in their database. How will I prove that I have sent the AR-11 form at the port of entry?
>With pending I-140 and I-485, is it advisable to change the address? I asked my attorney, and she doesn’t think any issue with it. I like to know your thoughts.

·Scenario 2: Status Quo - I don’t change my address in INS
>I will have City A’s address on employment letter, paychecks, other letters received from INS. My wife’s will have City B’s address on her employment letter, paycheck etc.
>At the port of entry, we fill up I-94 related form. I will write the City A’ address, even though I won’t be going there. Will that matter? Can INS officer understand the explanation that I work in City B even though I am from City A?

·Scenario 3: Send change of address only for my wife
>I have City A’s address and my wife has City B’s address. This scenario doesn’t seem right. Your thoughts please?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.
MP.

PS: It is kind of difficult to write in vacuum (City A, City B etc. J)

Hello All,

I have a simmilar situation. I have EAD, AP and valid H1 with no stamping.

I also need to move to another state however my company will remain same. But my personal address in the company will change. I am planning to travel outside of us soon. Will my change of address to another state will affect my EAD, AP and returning back to U.S.

If anybody has exprienced such situation..please let me know your advice.

Thank you.