Addie_Goodvibes , please respond

HARARE_123

Registered Users (C)
Hi! You are the kind soul who helps everyone out here with the info you know. You replied to my queries once before, thanks for the same.
Well, my wife (i'm a US citizen) just got her EAD card on saturday and we went to apply for a learner's driving permit today for her and the clerk there said that she cannot issue her a permit because it says on her passport that her visa is B1/B2!!! She showed them the EAD card but they said that it says you are authorized to work and thats it....to that my wife was , "how do i get to work if you won't let me drive??!!! I jsut saw your time line and you did receive your drivers licence before you got your case approved....pray tell how do we convince these people here in MO???!!
My wife also applied for her SS number , she went the very next day to the SS office after she got her EAD, so unfortunately the system was not updated so her EAD card wouldn't read there so she was given a letter saying that her EAD card needs to be verified with USCIS and then a SS card will be mailed to her.....is this routine???!! Any thoughts on this??
Finally, you think we should wait for her SS card to show up before going back to the driver's license place??? Please please respond....
And congrats on being approved....

I think i can help you out on this one. It may be 2 to 6 weeks before you get your SS#. I received my EAD on the 23 in the mail and went to Social Security on the 25th. Suprisingly, my info was there but there was a misspelling in my name (Had called and written immigration 3 times about this! so i couldn't get my SS Card. If your information is not in the Social Security databank or if some error, it is standard that they give that letter with reference number. Call each week to check if they have received information from Immigration. I just received confirmation of mine yesterday. So that was October 18. So it took 23 days to recheck for me and now I have a letter stating I should get card in 2 weeks.

So for you it will depend on how quickly USCIS gets info to Social Security Office and then the actual card being mailed. Be prepared for maybe at least 2 weeks - 6 weeks. Anything can happen. But Godspeed to you and your spouse :) :)

NeShawn said:
I think i can help you out on this one. It may be 2 to 6 weeks before you get your SS#. I received my EAD on the 23 in the mail and went to Social Security on the 25th. Suprisingly, my info was there but there was a misspelling in my name (Had called and written immigration 3 times about this! so i couldn't get my SS Card. If your information is not in the Social Security databank or if some error, it is standard that they give that letter with reference number. Call each week to check if they have received information from Immigration. I just received confirmation of mine yesterday. So that was October 18. So it took 23 days to recheck for me and now I have a letter stating I should get card in 2 weeks.

So for you it will depend on how quickly USCIS gets info to Social Security Office and then the actual card being mailed. Be prepared for maybe at least 2 weeks - 6 weeks. Anything can happen. But Godspeed to you and your spouse :) :)

WoOhOo congrats Neshawn with the SS card... I am happy for you...

As for Harare, as far as i know, you should of waited to get your SS#/card first before you went for your learner's permit... Your EAD card should always be accompanied w/ your SS# as this is how it works with the DMV... EAD+SS#= 3 pts. then just add whatever you can add to total up to 6 pts.

As for your wife's SS# application, yes, the wait is a routine. Some people are just lucky enough to have their name and everything in the SS admin.'s database right when they apply for it after recieving EAD. Unfortunately, like what everyone just stated, you would have to wait about 2-6 weeks to see if youre name is in SS database.

Now when once you get your social security, go ahead and apply for a permit but this time try not to use your passport to total the points with.

EAD/SS# + Official Municipal Marriage Certificate + Proof of address (goverment issued mail with your name and present address on it) = 6 pts.

HARARE,
Do a search for "driver license" on this forum, and you'll find more info about it.

Thank you all for replying. Will wait on SS card before applying again. I also researched the Missouri state motor vehicle licensing issues and this is what i found on their official web page: It mentions all the categories and whether you can apply for a driver's license or not....there is one category and i quote: : Category - Applicats for adjustment of status - yes can apply for license and need the following documents : 1.Immigration documentation indicating status and one of the following - EAD or passport......
So iguess i fall into this category and need to show them at the office that i am eligible for a license under this and not my B1/B2 status with with i entered the US on.....right??Any thoughts anyone on this??
Anotehr question , what is my immigration documentation indicating status?? Is it my notice that i got from USCIS that they have rec'd my application??? Please help. Thanks a million again.

Once you get yur SS card you can get A drivers Liscense,

Your EAD card and any NOA's your received preferably the NOA indicating you I-485 Application has been recieved, then you will not need to apply under b1/b2 rather under AOS that combined with your SS card and EAD should get you your drivers License, If you have received interview notice take that as well.

Good Luck